IT Band Syndrome heeling, but now pain elsewhere.

3 watchers
Apr 2015
3:00pm, 15 Apr 2015
First-time poster!!
  •  
NatureMorv
Hi All,

Wondering if I can get some advice from yourselves...

I have been battling IT Band syndrome since February and with rest, physio, rolling and lots of moaning I'm beginning to build my mileage back up (very slowly).

During my last physio appointment I was advised to change my gait, seemingly I swing my right leg (the injured one) out slightly and don't spend enough time with it on the ground when running. Having made this change I am now getting pain on the front inside of my calf muscle- it started as an ache, but the more I concentrate on this new form the more pain I'm experiencing in the calf (pulled up after 3k yesterday).

Is it a trip back to the physio? Settling into this new running technique? New shoes to match my new style? I don't know....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Morv
Apr 2015
3:20pm, 15 Apr 2015
6,213 posts
  •  
becca7
Welcome to Fetch. It sounds like you are getting a niggle as a result of the new technique. Actual pain, rather than an ache, suggests that a trip to the physio is in order.
Apr 2015
4:27pm, 15 Apr 2015
5,869 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Welcome to Fetch. I'd concur with becca7 - have you changed shoes to go with changing your technique? Your query suggests you haven't so it could be worth having gait analysis done in a running store. I'm not qualified to comment on changing your running form - there are certainly coaches on here who might be better placed to advise.
Apr 2015
5:03pm, 15 Apr 2015
10,891 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
have a read of this....you may find it useful. breakingmuscle.com
Apr 2015
7:20am, 16 Apr 2015
2 posts
  •  
NatureMorv
Hi! Thank you for the warm welcome! Oddly enough I ran 7 miles yesterday evening- no pain anywhere! Maybe my legs are just settling into having a more flexible IT Band...? Thanks for your feedback- will keep an eye on the issue and build up slowly.
Apr 2015
11:27am, 16 Apr 2015
326 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Hi MV, hope the recovery is well underway? If so, ignore the following.

Just a thought: I don't mean to confuse the issue but I am a "leg swinger" too. Some photos of me look as though I should never get my foot down anywhere near "square". My times aren't too shabby and it's too late for me to change gait now. I just wonder whether you should get a second opinion with regard to your gait change?
Apr 2015
9:18am, 22 Apr 2015
10,903 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
There's a great app available for iPhones for tracking London Marathon runners, could be a great way for Fetchpointer's to track the runners so they have an idea when we're about to arrive and can look out for us.

My bib number is #1748, HODs is #54376....add 'em to your favourites and you should be able to track our progress on the day. Could be worthwhile adding all Team 5 runners to the list.. =D
Apr 2015
12:43pm, 22 Apr 2015
10,904 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
Oops...wrong thread...lol

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by NatureMorv
Hi All,

Wondering if I can get some advice from yourselves...

I have been battling IT Band sy...