is this too big an increase in distance? 6 to 8.75 miles?

1 watcher
Feb 2015
9:55pm, 2 Feb 2015
144 posts
  •  
totalbeginner
OK so I\'m tempted to sign up for a third marathon. The furthest I\'ve ran before is 10k. A realistic goal or madness?

I\'m wondering if a new challenge might help get my running mojo back...but I know I will find it hard to fit in any training runs longer than 10k or so...
Feb 2015
10:11pm, 2 Feb 2015
4,198 posts
  •  
CStar
Took me a while to realise that you weren't referring to doing a 3rd Marathon, after the first and second ones! 3 x 26.2 miles might be a bit of a leap!!

If you can run 6 miles, 8.75 will be fine. Very realistic. You'll bizarrely probably barely notice the difference, although I know it sounds big leap when you are starting out. Just take it easy. Before you know it you'll do something rash like run 10 and then you'll be doing your first Half and who knows what after that. :-)
Feb 2015
10:17pm, 2 Feb 2015
25,384 posts
  •  
Old Croc
must admit I thought you meant you had signed up for 3 marathons - then looked at your training miles and thought it was a big step up! Signing up for one is a big commitment. The step up to 9 miles from 10k shouldn't be to bad and is very achievable - might even help your 10k times along the way.
Feb 2015
10:20pm, 2 Feb 2015
145 posts
  •  
totalbeginner
Haha gosh I didn't think it would be misread! My mistake!

Im really tempted to sign up actually and glad you think realistic. I've ran 10k twice and felt comfortable with it but it seems like a jump when I know I probably will struggle to get any longer runs in before the race (this April), I never considered there were any third of a marathon distance races but I found out about one today. I thought it was 5k, 10k, half marathon then marathon then ultra etc.
Feb 2015
10:22pm, 2 Feb 2015
25,385 posts
  •  
Old Croc
it is an unusual distance to be honest - the leap from 10k to half can be a large one.
Feb 2015
10:24pm, 2 Feb 2015
146 posts
  •  
totalbeginner
I don't think I would ever be able to run one marathon! At the moment its the lack of time to commit to more training and that what concerned me about it. I don't want to be irresponsible and be collapsing mid race or anything like that! My times for 10 k 1 hour 8 min . the course has a time limit of 2 hours so I should be under that at least...

its true I never thought I'd want to run further than 5k. In some ways I enjoyed the further distance as it takes me 20-25 min to get feeling comfortable in a run.
Feb 2015
10:26pm, 2 Feb 2015
12,727 posts
  •  
colettedeann
i don't think it is all that unrealistic if u have a consistent training schedule and are able to stick to it - i went from one 10k race to marathon and managed it - tho i was very slow - but i did put in more mileage - good luck if u go ahead with it :)
Feb 2015
10:36pm, 2 Feb 2015
9,717 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Not too big a jump. My theory is that if you can cover 70% of the race distance in training, you can do the race. Which handily, is 10 km. It might not be pretty towards the end, but it's doable. If you can manage 12 km once or twice, all the better.

Although you have named the current standard distances, 5 and 10 miles are recognised (if less common) distances and there are a smattering of odd distances: for example nearish to me there are two 4 mile races and two 12.5Ks. A third-marathon is pretty unusual, though Germany has a few.
Feb 2015
11:22pm, 2 Feb 2015
1,263 posts
  •  
Canute
You have educated several of us about the meaning of the term ‘third marathon.’ As other have pointed out, it is not a big step from 10K to 8.75 miles. The demand on your heart and lungs is similar for both events. However, 8.75 miles will place slightly greater demand on your legs.

I am inclined to think that doing a fairly regular ‘longish’ run at least once every two weeks is the most important thing. If you have not been running more than 5K on a regular basis, aim to build the regular longish run up gradually from 6K to 10K. Having a training partner can make longish training runs easier.
Feb 2015
8:23pm, 3 Feb 2015
147 posts
  •  
totalbeginner
Thanks guys I am still thinking about it. In all honesty I would maybe manage a couple of 10ks before the race but not much more. Will keep you posted. Its the Hornsea third if anyone has heard of it and supposed to be a nice route. Wonder why this distance not more common?

Fish and chips post race might be the swinger:)

About This Thread

Maintained by totalbeginner
OK so I\'m tempted to sign up for a third marathon. The furthest I\'ve ran before is 10k. A real...