Iron Man plan

2 watchers
Jun 2013
11:26am, 30 Jun 2013
3 posts
  •  
Deano512
Hi Folks,

First things first, it's great to back after a challenging few years. So hello folks!

I have a plan to complete an Iron man in 2015/16 - I am a 44 year old and vegan and have never undertaken such a challenge (a bit scary but looking forward to it).

So training and nutrition are high on my list of priorities as well as finishing my final year at uni (so glad this year is almost over).

I will be doing the Birmingham to Oxford cycle ride on 7 July and I have booked a place on the Oxford half marathon on 13 October, I have seen it suggested that getting a few events under your belt is the sensible thing to do so I am in the process of planning and considering upcoming events, I plan to do the Blenheim Palace triathlon next year. I am not a strong swimmer so I need to work on that area cycling is my best event and as far as running goes I know I need to work at it.

I would really appreciate any advice regarding training, nutrition or anything else - if you can recommend a particular training plan that would be fantastic! If you have done these events before and can offer any information advice about things to expect things to prepare for again I would really appreciate it.

I hope to hear from you even if you want to say hello.

Cheers

Deano
Jun 2013
11:54am, 30 Jun 2013
5,917 posts
  •  
simbil
From the plans I've seen for a first timer, I think it's pretty much all about volume. They start with around 8 hours a week and ramp up to around 16 hours a week. They often follow a build and cutback approach e.g. 8, 9, 10, 8 first 4 weeks then 9,10,11,9 next 4 weeks etc.

The split is often 50% time on the bike, 30% run and 20% swim.

It's good to work on your weak sports even at the expense of your better sports before you start your program. It's usually easy to build your good sport back up again but time consuming to build your weaker ones - so get cracking :)

Local clubs (either tri or masters swimming) usually offer coached swimming and are essential for weaker swimmers.

Maybe think about how this will fit in with your life over the next couple of years. 8-16 hours a week is a serious time commitment and you will need to consitantly hold it in the build up to the event. For most people it means sacrifices of some kind.

I did IM UK 70.3 a couple of weeks ago (off not enough training) and it was a brilliant experience - one that will only be better by going back next year with more training behind me. I'm not ready to step up to full iron distance yet but hopefully will get there one day.
Jun 2013
12:25pm, 30 Jun 2013
10,694 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I'm doing the Outlaw next weekend as my 1st IM distance - it's local and a LOT cheaper than an IM branded race (£250 rather than £500+)
the 2 books to read are "Iron Fit" by Fink and "Going Long by Friel & Bryn
I'm aiming to just finish taking the whole 17hrs
Jun 2013
1:07pm, 30 Jun 2013
4 posts
  •  
Deano512
Fantastic! thank you for the info simbil and EvilPixi, that is really helpful.

Time management is going to be essential for sure and a big challenge over the next few years with a new career path - I have just looked at both those books and they're on the way :-)

Good luck for next weekend EvilPixi I hope it all goes well and look forward to hearing about it.
Jul 2013
7:29pm, 2 Jul 2013
10,695 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
:-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hi Folks,

First things first, it's great to back after a challenging few years. So hello folks! ...