Iphones

60 watchers
Apr 2014
10:05am, 15 Apr 2014
9,537 posts
  •  
GlennR
Pinktinkbmc, it's worth making sure you turn it off and restart regularly. Some of the background process can burn a lot of power.
Apr 2014
11:19am, 15 Apr 2014
14,872 posts
  •  
flanker
alos make sure its at the latest firmware. 7.0.4 (?) had real issues on mine that are OK since I've gone to 7.1. If it's still poor take it into an apple store to get them to do a battery check. You might have a duff one.

I can get a full day out of a charge easily, even with reasonably heavy use with data, wifi and bluetooth turned on.
Apr 2014
12:16pm, 15 Apr 2014
14,310 posts
  •  
Meglet
Turn off location services for most apps, close all open apps, remove push notifications, there's all sorts you can do to save power.
Apr 2014
12:35pm, 15 Apr 2014
14,875 posts
  •  
flanker
Meglet, you can do all those things but that kind of takes away the point of having a smartphone! And there shouldn't be a need to.

The one thing that can kill battery life that dhould be avoided is having a SatNav app open in the background.
Apr 2014
2:16pm, 15 Apr 2014
1,116 posts
  •  
Longwayround
The 'close all open apps' thing is largely myth: iOS will close most apps automatically. Certainly, since the arrival of iOS 7 some apps now /are/ allowed to multitask but they are few and far between. If, however, you have allowed access to location services for apps that really don't need it (really, Dropbox does /not/ need to know where in the world you are!) then deny those permissions. daringfireball.net
Apr 2014
2:33pm, 15 Apr 2014
9,549 posts
  •  
GlennR
Longwayround, there's some misinformation in that link of yours, at least in as much as it applies to iOS7. If you close the app via the task bar it does *not* still appear in it afterwards - I've just tested it on my own phone.
Apr 2014
2:42pm, 15 Apr 2014
3,540 posts
  •  
sallykate
I'm always amazed by how many things appear when I double click the home button. And now confused as to whether I need to clear them or not.

But I'm not unduly worried by battery life, it seems fine to me with one overnight charge, which is an easy habit to get into.
Apr 2014
3:08pm, 15 Apr 2014
101 posts
  •  
pinktinkbmc
I have done all that stuff but it is still poor.

I took two 'pebble' chargers with me Sunday so that I could track DH during the marathon! Was so worried about my phone going off.

We are heading to town tomorrow so will pop into apple. Thanks
Apr 2014
8:49pm, 15 Apr 2014
1,117 posts
  •  
Longwayround
Glenn, the link does not state what you claim it states.
Apr 2014
9:14am, 16 Apr 2014
9,567 posts
  •  
GlennR
Longwayround, on close reading I can see that you're right. However, with my misreading I'm actually giving the piece credit for more coherence than it actually has.

The list of Apps that you get in the multitasking bar after a restart (when I assume that only the Apps that Apple allows to run in the background e.g. Mail are actually consuming resources) has got nothing to do with whether 'killing' an App frees up resources on the phone.

For all I know and care come of those Apps may be making no demands on the system, but some of them certainly do. If I use my Tom Tom App for sat nav it carries on navigating and giving directions even if it is in the background, which can be quite disorientating when walking around Waitrose. The only way to stop it is to kill it manuallly - meanwhile it is using significant amounts of both processing power and battery life. I suspect the same is true of many of the location based Apps, including Garmin Fit. I installed one App intended to record the number of paces taken per day that burned battery so terrifyingly quickly that I deleted it within two hours of installation.

About This Thread

Maintained by John66
Lots of talk about iPhones.

Recycle link -

comparemobilephonerecycling.co.uk