iPhone App Development

28 watchers
Jan 2014
10:48pm, 29 Jan 2014
16,634 posts
  •  
Steady Edina
I have always found Fetch to be a friendly place. I think you provoked the aggression when you said you didn't like 'the coldness of the place'. Some people use this site as a community, some just for logging whilst others a bit of both. There are also many cyclists using the site as well.
Jan 2014
10:55pm, 29 Jan 2014
1,044 posts
  •  
Longwayround
Er, he was referring to the coldness of *that* place, strava wasn't he? We're lovely and warm and cuddly.
Jan 2014
10:55am, 30 Jan 2014
6,037 posts
  •  
Chrisull
This wasn't actually a ringing endorsement of us though... "After a bit of searching around I'm a little disappointed to find this is as close to an API as there is. I'll probably move on and not think of FE in the future."

perhaps if he'd said

"After a bit of searching around I'm a little disappointed to find this is as close to an API as there is."... but then "I think there's a good opportunity to expose running data via an API, and as programmer I'm interested in exploring some of those possibilities, I wonder who runs this place and if they'd be interesting about talking about such possibilities..."

at which point someone would have pointed him the way of Lord Fetch, and I'm not sure he would have been able to help, but I'm sure he would have an answer on the possibility and whether it might happen in the future, whether it required more help, or whether the data is locked down by privacy issues (in which answering the question why aren't there more APIs), and it would have been interesting. All that in a parallel universe accessed simply by a bit of politeness... And I'm not exactly a stickler for politeness myself, I hate small talk and meaningless filler, but there are times when it is well necessary.
Jan 2014
11:29am, 30 Jan 2014
13,942 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I suppose he's long gone, but thanks everybody :-)

An iphone app remains a distant possibility, although an API maybe not so. It's the usual issue of manpower, or more precisely, mepower :-)
Jan 2014
11:58am, 30 Jan 2014
7,185 posts
  •  
Blister
I've always thought an API would be more useful than trying to go straight into building an app. In theory an app might have to duplicate most of the features of Fetch, which is an impossible task for one man.

I would have thought the core API features would be for the training, racing and blogging (and I guess also forum). Where you thinking of using OAuth for security Fetch? The way I imagined say the blog feed would be a XML and also Json feed of the latest public blogs for a user or all users.

The next step I guess would be creating a mechanism for full CRUD on blogs, training etc. That's the trickier part.

Or, you could just keep it really simple and only provide RSS feeds for anything public!

Maybe that way, other people could have a go at building their own apps and people can choose which one they like the most (a bit like how people choose their favourite skin!).
Jan 2014
12:00pm, 30 Jan 2014
7,186 posts
  •  
Blister
Please ignore my grammar mistakes :) I'ma programmer not a writer :P
Jan 2014
2:28pm, 30 Jan 2014
6,038 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Yep I agree - if Fetch builds an API - which I would have thought would be partly a necessary precondition for there being any iphone app, then there are Iphone programmers, Android programmers and Windows Phone programmers (I fit in the latter category) among us, who might build an app or two... But I appreciate as a one person operation, it's a big undertaking, and I'm not going to flounce if it's just not practical to build. And of course there's no guarantee once there's an API people will build, but I'm guessing they might.
Jan 2014
3:38pm, 30 Jan 2014
7,187 posts
  •  
Blister
Also, I'm building a website that I would want to use the API with, so it doesn't just have to be apps.
Jan 2014
4:01pm, 30 Jan 2014
13,943 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Anyone know of a good simple OAuth PHP library that I could use on the server for authenticating requests, generating keys/secrets, that sort of thing?
Jan 2014
4:44pm, 30 Jan 2014
7,188 posts
  •  
Blister
I don't know if they are any good, but here are a couple:

code.google.com
oauth.net (scroll down)
github.com
github.com

Standard PHP manual: uk3.php.net

StackOverFlow is a great forum for coding problems, I use it a lot: stackoverflow.com

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hiya,

any iPhone app developers out there? I'm working on the Fetch app, and have a few question...