Intermittent fasting - do you fast intermittently?

5 watchers
Oct 2022
3:51pm, 17 Oct 2022
60,354 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
[Lard and wasps, anyone?]
Oct 2022
4:02pm, 17 Oct 2022
36,619 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I think that if you read enough about so called diets that you will see some snippets of useful stuff in a lot of them even if the "diet" as a whole is a fluffed up caloric reduction

If restricting when you eat makes it easier for you to stay in control of your overall calories then it's a win

If reducing the carbs helps then again a win but you will have to get carbs from somewhere and probably not notice them when they come from fruit/veg

As a serial dieter I'm now at the stage where I appreciate the overall scheme is calories in versus calories out but not all calories are equal for all people as we are all different!

Plus your training has a huge impact. I am doing more running training than (literally!) ever before and although I have lost some weight (very slowly) I appreciate I can't do the big reductions or reduced carbs I have in the past as I need the fuel. Plus I am also trying to retrain my brain to not consume the calories used and to remember that I take in calories on long runs (most of the time) too so the calories used is less.

I'm really having to change my mindset and that's taking as long as losing the weight!
Oct 2022
4:03pm, 17 Oct 2022
36,620 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I think vrap has said before about the concept of "fasted runs"

I run before I have eaten my breakfast .... some would call this a fasted run I call it "I ran before I had my breakfast as I like my bed"
Oct 2022
4:13pm, 17 Oct 2022
60,355 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Martin Berkhan (a bodybuilder) was one of the first 16:8 proponents I came across way back over a decade ago. His website has become monetised since those days, but some of the old articles I enjoyed are still there (this is completely off topic but I'm sure if you have a mooch around the site you'll find free intermittent fasting content including some pseudoscience).

leangains.com
Dec 2022
12:13pm, 18 Dec 2022
4,270 posts
  •  
Dillthedog
I have been following a 16:8 routine for the last couple of months now, eating nothing after 6pm and nothing before 10am except for a sports direct mug of peppermint tea. A few observations from it:
1. I have lost just over 6kg to get back down to my racing weight. Not exactly my 600lb life territory, but my weight has been stubbornly above where I would like it to be for quite a long time now.
2. As far as diets go, this has been really easy to follow, and doesn’t need to much thinking about. I have had a few work trips where we haven’t eaten till later, but I then slip my 10am start time to a bit later to make up, if I’m feeling particularly keen to keep to the 16 hour fast.
3. I don’t think there has been anything particularly magical about the diet. I always wake up early, at 6 ish and traditionally always had brekkie then. From then until dinner time was a long time that I usually filled with a few snacks to keep me going. And simlairly after my tea would mindlessly eat crap until bed time. Stopping these snacks has probably been were all my weight loss has come from.
4. After having an early brekkie I would go out for an early run. I would never have considered running without eating, fearing I may suffer a bonk or maybe die. But having now run without brekkie for the last couple of months, haven’t bonked or died. In fact I have felt better running faster than on a Weetabix and banana fuelled belly. So far my longest run has only been 11 miles. If I do 14 or more I will probably take an emergency gel just in case of bonking far from home.

So from my perspective, following a 16:8 has been a real success. No downsides that I can see so far. And I would recommend to anyone wanting to shed a few pounds after Chrimbo!
Dec 2022
12:34pm, 18 Dec 2022
1,733 posts
  •  
tipsku
I've done 8:16 or 10:14 a couple of times during base building before marathon training when I wanted to shed a few extra pounds to get down to race weight. I also logged my food intake on MFP to make sure I eat enough in that window to fuel the training. I did my morning runs without breakfast so would have breakfast later or skip it altogether. It usually helps me to drop a few pounds in a few weeks and it hones the fat burning abilities. While I could only run about 30 minutes in a fasted state before IF, I managed 90 minutes runs after a few weeks.

The effect on my marathon training was noticeable: Before IF, my longest easy runs without fuel would be 2 hours; after, I could run up to 4 hours without food, only took a small bottle of water.

I can't say anything about long-term effects/benefits but it worked for me in short use (4-6 weeks) to become more efficient at fat burning and that was my goal. The 2-3 lbs off were a nice side effect.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Dillthedog
Intermittent fasting seems to be the big new thing in the diet world. Lots of compelling YouTube videos and podcasts about it. But I’d there anything in it, or is it just quackery? I have decided to give it a whirl, 16 hours fasting and 8 hours feasting. Is anyone else a faster, if so, how do you find it, and does it help your running? I usually have brekkie before running but didn’t this morning, and survived without bonking. Any advice for a newbie faster?