Inov8 Roclite - Is the graphene sole worth the money?

7 watchers
Jun 2019
8:57pm, 3 Jun 2019
247 posts
  •  
Stilldreaming
I've run in Inov8 Roclite 290's for ages now and need to replace my current pair. I might be able to find a pair of last year's shoes in the sales, but just wondered if anyone had any comments on the new graphene soles that Inov8 are advertising. Are they as good as they claim re: grip on wet rock? Are they worth the extra money?
Jun 2019
9:00pm, 3 Jun 2019
1,121 posts
  •  
oumaumau
I think the biggest claim is increased durability, rather than enhanced grip, so do you find the soles are worn out, and the rest of the shoe is still fine? Or are the uppers/mid-sole done in before the grip has worn off?
Jun 2019
10:20pm, 3 Jun 2019
248 posts
  •  
Stilldreaming
Interesting! To be fair, they're just generally knackered and don't owe me anything, so maybe I'll look for some of last season's in the sales.
Jun 2019
11:19pm, 3 Jun 2019
8,785 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Re: The graphene models (all models of shoe they seem to be flogging), a couple of us in the materials group in Engineering here had a chat about them (there are a few fell runners in the group).

We came to the conclusion that if, as they claimed, they increased grip on rock, then out of necessity they'd wear down faster. However, if as makes more sense to me (as a composites person), they increased the modulus (i.e. stiffness) and therefore were more durable, then we reckoned the grip would be less.

There's a trade off to be had.

Mind you my last few pairs of X-talons have all gone by the uppers shearing from the soles around the join on the heel. Know several people who've had this happen to them.
um
Jun 2019
10:11am, 4 Jun 2019
999 posts
  •  
um
The reviews & artivles I see (eg this one, at random, inov-8.com ) are all about durability, 'while retaining the inov-8 grip'.

So as per oumaumau, depends how you wear out your shows - soles or just all round 'knackered'.

But if you find any cheap ones, size 11, I'd like to know (with or without graphene) ;-)
Jun 2019
10:25am, 4 Jun 2019
12,833 posts
  •  
Homer
I had the previous ones and have just splurged on the graphene ones, hoping that they last longer. I've used them on tough rock days on the likes of the Glyders in Wales (an area that eats trains running shoes for breakfast) and two long days in the lakes as well as about 20 mile on local trails and the soles seem good.

I can't spot any difference in grip but being able to survive the Glyders is promising

Pretty sure they are only that price for the moment though
Jun 2019
5:51pm, 4 Jun 2019
249 posts
  •  
Stilldreaming
Um ... any good?

ebay.co.uk
Jun 2019
7:39pm, 4 Jun 2019
12,838 posts
  •  
Homer
Good price and they take returns.

I found the 290's didn't fit me well but others do. Just changes over the years I suppose.

It looks like Alton sports are a proper local sports shop so I say go for it, worst case you have to pay the cost of returning them, maybe to get a different size
um
Jun 2019
8:46pm, 4 Jun 2019
1,001 posts
  •  
um
Thanks stilldreaming.
Yes, Alton Sports are relatively local, have real shops and often seen at local events.
Jun 2019
9:09pm, 4 Jun 2019
43,749 posts
  •  
runnerbean
Activinstinct have them really cheap at mo

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by stilldreaming
I've run in Inov8 Roclite 290's for ages now and need to replace my current pair. I might...