Inner Thigh Strength - Affect on Stride Length?

2 watchers
Jun 2012
1:55pm, 18 Jun 2012
1,616 posts
  •  
SusiesueH
This could be a random question, but does the strength of the muscle in your inner thighs affect your stride length? I ask because whenever I go for a sports massage, the bit that has me crying in pain is when she has a go at my inner thighs. I assume because they're weak. I did an exercise DVD one day last week that involved rather a lot of squats, and as a result, my inner thighs were sore for days and I was shuffling around because it was too sore to stride properly.

So to the point, when I run a long way (for me) I get slower and slower and my stride gets shorter and shorter. I wonder now if that's because my inner thighs are weak and get tired before the rest of me. If I concentrate on strengthening my inner thigh, will that help? Or am I just talking b*ll*cks?
Jun 2012
2:05pm, 18 Jun 2012
293 posts
  •  
djwatson74
Always worth core strength work on legs to, will help for sure but not total root of the problem.
Jun 2012
3:14pm, 18 Jun 2012
3,765 posts
  •  
BanjoBax
Am sure leg strength work would be useful anyway but the pain could just be trigger points in the inner thigh muscles rather than a strength deficiency.

Trigger points can be caused by use/posture issues, I sometimes get trigger points in the gracilis and sartorius muscles (see tnation.t-nation.com ), forgotten which, but one can be caused by sitting with crossed legs or ankles. I really like this book amazon.co.uk which tells you about the trigger points and how to massage them yourself to relieve the problem.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
This could be a random question, but does the strength of the muscle in your inner thighs affect you...