Inner ankle pain

0 watcher
Sep 2011
10:25am, 11 Sep 2011
2,230 posts
  •  
emmie
Stumpy, I've logged 500 miles in them since May and although I didn't run for 4 months from Oct-Jan before that, I'm pretty sure they've done over 1000 miles. In the months leading up the break (I went travelling - no injury problems) I was running 20 - 40 miles a week. That long run did also kill a toe nail.. unusual for these shoes.
Sep 2011
3:57pm, 11 Sep 2011
2,231 posts
  •  
emmie
Is anyone around who has any thoughts?
Sep 2011
4:04pm, 11 Sep 2011
348 posts
  •  
Ian M
Hi Emmie.

I'd like to have a look at you running just to see if there are any issues there that could be causing this. Usually injuries like this have been building up in the background for some time. It's just that they only become apparent (painful) when the body has finally started to give in. Hence some folk can apparently just seem to get achilles tendon issues out f the blue, they look for causes like recent footwear etc but very often it can be a long term style problem (for example). Not saying this is always the case but it's certainly worth having a look at how you run first just to see what's what. Furthermore, if it has become apparent after successive long runs then that could be a sign that you are tiring and as you tire then your form slips and either causes the niggle or makes an old niggle re-surface.
Sep 2011
4:10pm, 11 Sep 2011
2,232 posts
  •  
emmie
Hi Ian, thanks for the thoughts. I'm pretty sure I don't have any structural problems as I've been assessed by an orthopaedic surgeon who said I'm fine and balanced, hence I've always worn neutral shoes. I know this doesn't guarantee perfect style though.. I think it's that my form gave in due to tiredness and this wasn't aided by possibly worn out shoes. Unfortunately I don't have the means to post a video of me running, but do you think that the foot drills and ankle work will sort it out?
Sep 2011
5:24pm, 11 Sep 2011
2,886 posts
  •  
SharonD
HI Emmie, the foot drills and ankle work will help to increase strength and flexibility in your feet and ankles, so they are good to do, but will only help if they convert to you moving more efficiently when you are running, it's difficult to say without seeing a video of you running. Also depends on the pain and level of pain you're experiencing.

When you move around and run try to keep an feeling of 'soft' feet and ankles - your foot should be neutral not pointing up or down when in the air and maybe scrunch and release your toes as you may be holding tension in them without realising.
Sep 2011
6:55am, 12 Sep 2011
2,233 posts
  •  
emmie
Sharon, I have been guilty of scrunching up my toes, it's something I've been working on for ages and it's getting better. I'm planning to rest for about a week but keep doing the foot drills and ankle work, fingers crossed that will sort it out... thank you for the advice!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by emmie
The pain started in my inner L ankle during a long run a week ago. It is above the visible ankle bon...