Injury advice/GNR

2 watchers
Sep 2012
6:52pm, 12 Sep 2012
509 posts
  •  
NRGEE
Those of you who read my blog will be aware of the problems I have been having.......
About 12days ago I had a deep tissue massage of my right ITBand by my physio. It was VERY painful. He used his elbows and went DEEP......
The initial pain I presented with was just lateral to my knee. I came out of the physio session with the whole of my ITBand v tender. I went back to speak to the physio and he recommended seeing the sports masseur for a gentler massage. I did. It felt a bit better. I had a second massage by the masseur 5 days later. AFTER this massage I came up in a huge bruise(basically the length of the IT Band). I didn't run at all whilst having these appts. I RICE.

On Sat I managed a 3m run and Sunday a 7m run. The first few steps were v painful and lets just say I was "aware" of the ITBand the entire run. I was hoping everything would have settled down by today. I ran 3m this morning and again wasn't happy. basically if the discomfort doesn't subside further- I am tempted to defer the GNR:-( My physio says to run it........he says it is just bruising and should be ok.

Tonight as a last resort I saw a different health professional at a different clinic who were advertising some "laser" light treatment that helps reduce bruising and swelling. The guy was shocked when he saw my bruising. He checked my IT Band and said at wasn't tight;but he could feel a haematoma in the muscle. he reckons I should ask for my money back from the physio............ Anyhow- he said my glutes were v tight and my vastus lateralis muscle. He worked on those and applied some KINESIOTAPING on my glutes.

Been told to ICE every 2hrs for 10mins and NOT to foam roller the ITBand;but to roller my glutes

I am also rubbing ARNICA gel on and have just bought some arnica pills. The health professional advised to stop NSAIDs as "they are just masking the problem"

I feel I have now tried everything and it is a waiting game now. I will decide on Saturday morning if I can do the GNR. If not- I will take my chip and number down to the help desk at the exhibition thingy and defer.

I know it is a personal thing..........;but what would YOU do?? Would you do anything different to me? I am willing to take any advice.
Sep 2012
6:59pm, 12 Sep 2012
9,984 posts
  •  
Jock Itch
Bloomin eck ! :-O feel sorry for you. If you have bruising then I persoanlly wouldnt do any running from now until Sunday. Maybe a easy couple on Fri then just try and jog round to enjoy the atmos. Bruising sounds quite bad so I'd whack loads of arnica on. You'llk know on Sat morn what you can do. All the best.
Sep 2012
8:52pm, 16 Sep 2012
510 posts
  •  
NRGEE
Thanks for your reply :-)
I posted my deferral to the GNR on Friday after I had tried a 3mile run. I could feel every step......discomfort about grade 5-6 on a scale of 1-10. I decided I didn't want to run in discomfort for 13.1m.
I saw the physio who had given me the deep tissue massage bruising on Friday. He reckoned I was OK to run!! The bruising has def subsided;but it is still tender to press today. I think there is still swelling and trauma to the muscle tissue present.
Sat and watched the GNR on TV. Most of my friends running have done great times. I am sad I had to miss the event.......
Sep 2012
10:31pm, 16 Sep 2012
4,149 posts
  •  
becca7
Sorry you had to miss the race. Sounds like you need to ditch the first physio in favour of the second in future.
Sep 2012
5:46pm, 20 Sep 2012
3 posts
  •  
TCMPractitioner
Hi NRGEE, I know this is kinda late and I am in no way intending to be up on a soap box, lol, but just wanted to say for you and anyone following the thread, from a qualified Sports & Remedial Massage and Acupuncture practitioner...IT Band work should never be too deep, it's a band of connective tissue which is not supple and pliable like muscle tissue. Focus should be given to the smaller gluteal muscles and Tensor Fascia Latae that connect into it, as well as looking at the Vastus Lateralis and the Biceps Femoris. While some work on the ITB is necessary, this should be more connective tissue work rather than very deep massage. A good physio and definitely a good sports massage therapist should be aware of these issues.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by NRGEE
Those of you who read my blog will be aware of the problems I have been having.......
About 12days ...