Injury advice

2 watchers
Jul 2011
4:02pm, 23 Jul 2011
670 posts
  •  
Incognito
No just wore trainers on bike, in fact just back after having a wee shot on my daughter's bike and I was trying my foot different ways so will see if that as any effect on it. You would think cycling should be okay.
Jul 2011
5:11pm, 23 Jul 2011
347 posts
  •  
Lisa T
I know. When I first started my foot ached a bit but it doesn't now. Infact often the cycling seems to help to stretch it out a bit. Hope it improves soon.
Jul 2011
5:41pm, 23 Jul 2011
2,813 posts
  •  
SharonD
Sometimes you need to just accept that rest is best - as frustrating as it is ! As Johnny O says make sure the diagnosis is correct and whilst I am not against accupuncture (administered by properly qualified folk it has it's place) I can't see either how it will help an inflammed tendon, massage yes but accupuncture is more to get 'knots' to let go...what's caused the tendon to get inflammed?
Jul 2011
8:40pm, 23 Jul 2011
671 posts
  •  
Incognito
The physio thinks that the tendon is inflammed because I have really flat feet and my foot is rolling in all the time. A few years back I had problems with my other foot which afte x-rays, scans, pod, physio, orthopedic surgeon, etc eventually healed but I think it has taken its toll on my other foot. Incidentally the physion also said that my fibula at the knee is very stiff ?? Should I get a second opinion ?
Jul 2011
7:42am, 24 Jul 2011
2,816 posts
  •  
SharonD
You probably have tight calves too & if fibular ligament tight at knee may have tightness on outside of upper leg? I would rest for a couple of weeks, maybe have some massage which will aid circulation and so could help healing. When you stand,walk, cycle where is your weight going? My guess is that you carry it down the outside of your leg rather than through the middle, which would explain why it hurts after cycling? Practice standing imagining there is a line from your second toe going straight up your shin and thigh bone, lean into a wall keeping your weight going through this line ( you probably won't be able to do this till it stops hurting), you need to rest then work with your physio on how you are moving and change it to a way that gets your soft tissues (muscles,tendons & ligaments) moving correctly - flat feet do not mean you will always overpronate, practice moving with good alignment & posture and the soft tissues will adapt to flex and strengthen how they need to - this will not necessarily be easy and will definitely take time and practice but will help avoid future injuries.
A second opinion would probably tell you to rest too -hope it improves soon injury & pain sucks:-(
Good luck ;-)
Jul 2011
10:17am, 24 Jul 2011
672 posts
  •  
Incognito
Thanks Sharon, trying to work out where my weight going. I pretty much been resting since the end of June, apart from walking and I have been doing kettlercise but missing out lunges, my physio wasn't sure if it was okay or not to do it ? I have had bother off and on with my feet, when I was in my 20's and did a lot of aerobics they were quite bad then about 3 years ago I had a problem with my other foot but it is fine now. I used to wear motion control trainers but found when I changed to neutral trainers that the problem resolved ? Funnily enough I am sitting icing my foot and I have a dull ache in my hip ?? I don't want to be injured anymore - boohooo !!
Jul 2011
10:26am, 24 Jul 2011
673 posts
  •  
Incognito
My daughter has been watching me and she says it looks like it is going up the middle ?
Jul 2011
4:00pm, 29 Jul 2011
677 posts
  •  
Incognito
Been back to the physio today and after I said that it has been even worse to the point it is only okay when I take the dog out first thing in the morning, she decided to look at my back ? Bingo !! She says that is is my S4/S5 vertbrae in the lumber region that is causing my foot pain. She did a bit of manipulation and has given me some stretches to do. Has anyone had this before and how long can I expect for it to take to heal ? Meantime she has said I can walk but take little steps, nothing that causes impact, cycle with my seat lower but pay attention to the position of my spine, gentle swimming but only if it does not hurt, no kettlebells, no toning exercise as again have to watch the position of my spine, think I can do light upper body weights if seated, not to stand about for too long, not to sit for more than 2 hours at a time, wear shoes with a small heal???

Can anyone come up with anything else I could do ? I asked about a rowing machine but she said only if I didn't lock my knees out ?? WOuld sitting on a stabiliy ball be a good ides ?

Going to join ww on Monday ..............

Thanks to anyone who can help ??
Jul 2011
4:06pm, 29 Jul 2011
9,884 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I am sorry, but this sounds like chiropractic nonsense.
Spinal manipulation is witchcraft. There may be a problem with your spine, though the symptoms really don't sound like it.

How much are you paying this person?

(it is worth bearing in mind that there are no S4/5 vertebrae- the sacrum is a single fused bone)
Jul 2011
4:08pm, 29 Jul 2011
8,747 posts
  •  
HellsBells
and even if the problem was sacral, it wouldn't affect your foot as the sacral nerves actually exit the spinal canal higher up
I would suggest your physio needs a refresher course in basic anatomy

About This Thread

Maintained by Cotty67
I have an inflammed tendon in my foot (possible posterior tbial tendonitis/dysfunction), have been s...