BETTER WITHOUT ADS? Become a voluntary supporter

Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Injured: Best female singers/vocalists...

9 watchers
Jan 2020
10:19am, 24 Jan 2020
11 posts
ukjmr
I'm injured. Have been for a couple of months and still not allowed to walk more than strictly necessary, let alone run.

So completely OT and to take my mind off this depressing state of affairs I have a question for Fetchies.

My 8YO has started going to singing lessons and been learning about expression. I played her a couple of vids where the vocals have been stripped out of famous songs (Queen's We are The Champions and Marvin Gaye's Heard It Through The Grapevine - if you haven't heard them, well worth a Google).

The question I have for a January Friday is:

What women singers are exemplary? For vocals, not act/persona.

Could be from any Genre - rock, blues, jazz, folk, soul, gospel...

I'm looking for range of expression here not just the ability to belt out a tune or yodel. Candidates so far might be the lass from Evanescence singing Bring Me To Life or Whitney Houston.

I can think of loads of voices with character I like, but that's not the mission!
Jan 2020
10:43am, 24 Jan 2020
18766 posts
ChrisHB
Would you look at opera?

e.g. Carmen, La Traviata or (my bete-noire) anything by Puccini. Many will have themes such as love and death you might not want to put before your daughter.

Older musicals such as If I loved you from Carousel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuHAh-2xGxw
Jan 2020
10:47am, 24 Jan 2020
246 posts
Stander
Paloma Faith.

*drops mic
Jan 2020
10:48am, 24 Jan 2020
117647 posts
GregP
to clarify, we're looking for technical proficiency and ability over 'enjoyableness'? So my favourites like Joni Mitchell or Tanita Tikaram or Judy Tzuke would be out but someone technically competent but awful would be in?
Jan 2020
10:49am, 24 Jan 2020
117648 posts
GregP
If someone says Amy Winehouse there's trouble.
Jan 2020
10:49am, 24 Jan 2020
117649 posts
GregP
Stevie Nicks?
Jan 2020
10:50am, 24 Jan 2020
10152 posts
larkim
A bit of a middle of the road suggestion, but Adele - particularly when I've seen her live stuff on TV - brings more to her songs than is there inherently.

Tori Amos also does it for me, though that might be her eclectic songs as much as anything else.
Jan 2020
10:50am, 24 Jan 2020
12 posts
ukjmr
Great starts - thanks.

Opera is cool, as are the musicals. I've pretty varied tastes in music which has rubbed off on my daughter.

Any recommended number from Paloma Faith?
Jan 2020
10:51am, 24 Jan 2020
5388 posts
Sigh
For a modern blues vocalist, I'd suggest Joanne Shaw Taylor. Picking one of her videos at random from YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAkmtOGTX4A
Jan 2020
10:57am, 24 Jan 2020
5167 posts
Sweetie
Nina Simone

About This Thread

Maintained by ukjmr
I'm injured. Have been for a couple of months and still not allowed to walk more than strictly...