Inguinal Hernia

1 watcher
Mar 2018
11:22pm, 7 Mar 2018
75 posts
  •  
Sime
I've recently been diagnosed with a small indirect inguinal hernia. Was incredibly painful for a week or so when it first happened, couldn't sleep for a week as it was so uncomfortable. It has settled down a fair bit now and I have started to try some running and bootcamp training but I find it aches after about 10-15 mins of running and really pulls on any core exercises.

I've searched on the forum and there aren't many hernia posts so just wanted to see if anyone had any experience of continuing to run with a hernia, whether they had surgery, or were able to control the condition without surgery?

Cheers.
Mar 2018
6:43am, 8 Mar 2018
37,920 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I developed a small inguinal hernia 15 years ago, continued to run as normal, had the hernia repaired, was fit to run within a couple of weeks, and have had no recurrence despite having continued to do lots of sport.

Repair of small hernias that aren't causing any symptoms is now classed as a procedure of dubious value in some areas and you may find your GP or surgeon will advise you to leave it alone if the hernia has a broad base and is at low risk of strangulation. However, inguinal hernias don't go away by themselves and can get bigger. I'd advise at least consulting your GP, and if I had another I'd be asking for it to be repaired.
Mar 2018
9:50am, 8 Mar 2018
76 posts
  •  
Sime
Cheers Velociraptor, I went to see my GP yesterday and yes you’re correct his advice was not to rush into having surgery but to hold off for now and wait and see how it goes.
Mar 2018
9:59am, 8 Mar 2018
409 posts
  •  
oi you
Mine was pretty uncomfortable doing anything energetic, not just running. The advice was to have the op. so that's what I did.
I didn't do much for a few weeks after, but gradually it all eased up and it doesn't impede me at all now. The wound has healed enough to be almost invisible. Not that many would get the chance to look.
Mar 2018
10:02am, 8 Mar 2018
23,529 posts
  •  
HellsBells
my husband and I are currently ignoring his as it's not uncomfortable or stopping him from doing anything including running
if that changes he'll have to have it done privately as not funded in our CCG
Mar 2018
8:17pm, 10 Mar 2018
365 posts
  •  
Claypole
Hi Sime. Not sure if it's the same thing or not but I had a sports hernia or Gilmores Groin April 2016. Physio gave me exercises like dead bugs... I backed off running, just walked and rehabed like a loon for 3 months which meant I could avoid an op. I think Psimon on here also had it and in his case also the op and was running ok after.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sime
I've recently been diagnosed with a small indirect inguinal hernia. Was incredibly painful for ...