Infected Insect Bite

2 watchers
Aug 2012
3:29pm, 13 Aug 2012
571 posts
  •  
RunnyBunny
I had an infected bite about 10 years ago, and delayed getting it seen to as I had an exhibition stand for work and was there on my own without a colleague to cover. By the end of the weekend, I was feeling very ropey and one leg was twice the size of the other. A&E antibiotics sorted it, but I was walking with a stick for a few days. I'd put my leg ahead of work these days.
Aug 2012
4:27pm, 13 Aug 2012
217 posts
  •  
Cyclops
Have you had it seen to yet?
Aug 2012
4:31pm, 13 Aug 2012
6,999 posts
  •  
Gymfreak
Erm no. I did ring the doctors and they said they couldn't tell if it was infected unless I went there. I can't get a normal appt, only an emergency one which is right in middle of day. Now I've googled things (answer to everything) and it doesn't have a red line and I don't feel ill so now I think it must jst be some bad reaction to one or something. If I was 'ill' I'd get an emergency appointment but it looks more like some sort of weird swollen red reaction that I should just be smearing some anti histamine cream on. I've taken some anti histamines and they don't seem to do much which is annoying.
Aug 2012
2:41pm, 14 Aug 2012
1,557 posts
  •  
ChrisThePuma
how is it now GF?
Aug 2012
3:04pm, 14 Aug 2012
7,000 posts
  •  
Gymfreak
Much improved. Its going down on its own :)
Aug 2012
4:00pm, 14 Aug 2012
1,092 posts
  •  
BrianJ
Probably a localised allergic reaction - I've reacted like this a few times and the first time I went to the doctor who, once he'd checked it wasn't Lyme's disease, advised me to use anti-histamines and hydrocortisone cream
Aug 2012
4:48pm, 14 Aug 2012
1,560 posts
  •  
ChrisThePuma
you went to see Doctor Who? ;-)
Aug 2012
5:45pm, 14 Aug 2012
3,087 posts
  •  
southcoastpete
Just got my bite checked out, and the practise nurse said there didn't seem to be any infection.

The swelling has gone down, and the blister has kind calmed down.

She recommended a cold press to cool the area. But also to give it 24 hours to see what develops.

Jock, thanks for reminding me about the potatoes, I mean I did have a packet of crisps Sunday...what a risk :)
Aug 2012
8:29pm, 14 Aug 2012
2,432 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
I iced my big bite last night and it's a lot better. I also put a big plaster on it overnight so I didn't scratch it like last time when I caused infection and blistering. I'd be interested to know what kind of beastie bit me because I've never had a swelling like it. Got some citronella today as I live near a pond, stream, lake and woodland and can see them hovering expectantly licking their lips in the garden underneath my flat of an evening.
Aug 2012
5:02pm, 27 Aug 2012
3 posts
  •  
Dementer
GymFreak mentioned a "red line" on Aug 13th..... someone explain as I'm now in a state of panic. Bitten on the bottom.... of my calf (LOL) over the weekend and it's swolen, hard, red, hot and there's a red line going up the back of my calf to my knee. Whats that all about?

About This Thread

Maintained by Gymfreak
I have one on my foot. Something bit me a couple of days ago and It's got bigger and redder. My who...