Infected Insect Bite

2 watchers
Aug 2012
9:45am, 13 Aug 2012
4,883 posts
  •  
RichHL
I don't know whether I've become more sensitive to bites or there are different insects out there biting me but the last couple of summers have been dreadful. My foot swelled up so much last year that I had trouble putting on my shoes.

I blame climate change...
Aug 2012
10:50am, 13 Aug 2012
2,407 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
Rich - I think there are different sorts of insects out there as I never used to suffer from getting bitten. Woke up with a lump on my leg this morning, so must've got bitten in the night. I live by woods and the weather has encouraged lots of beasties to hang around near puddles of water. I leave all my flat windows open at night so I guess it's open season on my exposed limbs.
Aug 2012
11:06am, 13 Aug 2012
6,436 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
Without wanting to sound like a drama queen, Please get it seem to - a distant (healthy 30 something) family member died because he didn't get his infected horse fly bite seen to.
Aug 2012
11:18am, 13 Aug 2012
9,065 posts
  •  
Pootle
If you really can't get to the doctor try taking Piriton (though that will only help with the allergic reaction, if it is actually infected get thee to a doctor) . Husband had a nasty bite from something last year and the pharmacist said other types of antihistamines are rubbish in comparison.
Aug 2012
11:19am, 13 Aug 2012
9,066 posts
  •  
Pootle
Also, :-0 telegraph.co.uk
Aug 2012
11:35am, 13 Aug 2012
3,083 posts
  •  
southcoastpete
Seems there are a lot of nibbly besties around due to the wet weather.

The last few times I've been to Tilgate Parkrun have resulted with nasty bites up my legs. I got another one on Saturday with seems to have swollen and developed into a blister. Its not painful though.
Aug 2012
12:45pm, 13 Aug 2012
2,413 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
I had another bike which developed into a blister Pete. My ankle swelled and the skin was itchy and went leathery for a bit. After the problem subsided, the area continued to itch for a month afterwards.

Two people in my running club have recently contracted Lyme Disease from ticks.
Aug 2012
12:47pm, 13 Aug 2012
9,937 posts
  •  
Jock Itch
Potato allergy Pete ? ;)
Aug 2012
2:16pm, 13 Aug 2012
60 posts
  •  
thuginasuit
GF know the feeling re docs more chance of me doing a sub 3.30 marathon than getting an appointment. Luckily we have a walk in centre in Nottingham which i went to after getting bitten at the night fever marathon. Red swollen and painful but after 7 days of anti biotics the infection is gone and now no problem.
Aug 2012
2:42pm, 13 Aug 2012
15,417 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Go to A&E. If it's infected it could get very serious. Why risk it because of a few hours wait.

About This Thread

Maintained by Gymfreak
I have one on my foot. Something bit me a couple of days ago and It's got bigger and redder. My who...