Inexpensive Trail shoes

5 watchers
Nov 2012
3:00pm, 8 Nov 2012
3,088 posts
  •  
Tav H
New Balance do the MT330, I found a pair for £31.99.
Nov 2012
3:01pm, 8 Nov 2012
3,089 posts
  •  
Tav H
Haven't tried them yet. They have the same sole as the MT00, but more cushioning and a slight drop. Also the last is narrower in the toe like a traditional running shoe.
Nov 2018
11:35am, 30 Nov 2018
44 posts
  •  
Groundhog
More Mile Cheviot 3s. Done 130 miles or so on wet muddy trails and they are in good nick. Very chunky tread and don't seem to hold the mud. They are very grippy, but not that comfortable for mixed terrain if yu are going to be doing more than an hour running.
Nov 2018
11:35am, 30 Nov 2018
45 posts
  •  
Groundhog
Oh and they were only about £30
Dec 2019
11:58am, 8 Dec 2019
18,458 posts
  •  
Dvorak
This rather old thread caught my attention in the sidebar. Whilst I am now sorted for road shoes I think (Saucony Triumph ISO 4 £50 at SportsShoes; women's similar from £40!) I could do with something with a bit more tread for the limited rougher stuff I do (nothing extreme! Moderate trails and mud.). My Salomon road to trails were ideal, but now worn flat and falling apart.

The More Miles Cheviots mentioned certainly caught my eye: up to v4 and still only £30 direct or via Start Fitness (or £20 at Go Outdoors, although currently out of stock). There is also a lighter, low drop version,. Cheviot Pace startfitness.co.uk

Anyone have any input about these, or any (low price) alternatives? Cheers :-)
Dec 2019
2:10pm, 9 Dec 2019
18,474 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I posted here yesterday, but giving it a bump for any weekdayers who might have thoughts :-)
Dec 2019
4:00pm, 9 Dec 2019
75 posts
  •  
Marvin
Yup I use both of those More Miles Cheviots models, as stated they have a very aggressive tread, and are great for slushy slippy muddy paths. I find them fine on roads, although understandably less so on slimy slick rocks. I wouldn't hesitate in recommending them if you were running on more extreme terrain, but they might be a little overkill for your purpose. They are very basic with little cushioning, after a while on hard packed trails and roads my feet do feel a little battered so you might be better looking for something else? I used to buy Adidas Kanadia when they were cheap but they are now a tad overpriced for what they are. I haven't tried Decathlon's off-road shoes but they're fairly cheap, and their kit is normally good. These one's have a more moderate tread?https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mens-tr-black-and-bronze-id_8513301.html

If you do go for the More Miles Cheviots it's worth looking for a discount code, I know there are a few hanging about.
Dec 2019
11:52am, 10 Dec 2019
18,487 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Thanks Marvin, sound probably not the shoes I'm looking for. I need a bit of cushioning as I'm quite heavy-footed and have a sometimes unhappy heel. Might have a trip to Go Outdoors anyway and I'm overdue a Decathlon visit as well. Both are within range, but not "pop-in" distance.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by HermanBloom
I'm looking for some Trail shoes that won't break the bank. Mainly as they will be used for Park R...