Indoor air quality help

3 watchers
Aug 2021
7:01pm, 13 Aug 2021
737 posts
  •  
Weath
Yes Um, domestic burners have had a massive increase in numbers over the last 10 years or so years.

Whilst they're not particularly 'environmentally friendly' - primarily emitting particulates and sulphur dioxide - they're not really something that are typically assessed under a local authorities air quality duties (i.e. the Local Air Quality Management (LAQM) regime, under the Environment Act 1995).

With the exception of nitrogen dioxide which is mostly associated with transport emissions, most other pollutants we have to monitor are usually associated to industrial processes, such as quarries in relation to particulates for example.

To keep it brief; professional judgement (and Defra guidance) in terms of most local housing density is usually enough to show minimal community impact from he proportional number of eal fires - although we still discourage their use.

Individually, a single 'problem' smoking stove would be better tackled under statutory nuisance legislation, which is a whole different environmental health discipline that I also have approaching 2 decades experience enforcing ....
um
Aug 2021
7:54pm, 13 Aug 2021
5,035 posts
  •  
um
Thanks Weath .. not the answer I hoped for, but many thanks for the explanation.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by ChrisHB
We have friends who live in a damp and mouldy house. The wife is suffering with lung problems that w...