Increasing mileage

4 watchers
Dec 2018
8:09am, 8 Dec 2018
19 posts
  •  
Little Critter
I’ve been off running for a month due to a muscle strain. I saw a therapist yesterday who was very thorough and said I could start running again but just do 2-3km and increase by no more than 15% per week.

I’ve just worked this out and it means I’m now now going to be ready for the Longleat 10km I’ve entered in early Feb.

15% increase seems very small, especially in the early weeks.

Does everyone stick to this guideline? Would I be an idiot to increase by more than 15% in the early weeks in order to be ready for Longleat? (For example the increase between week 1 and week 2 would only be 0.3km per run)
Dec 2018
8:33am, 8 Dec 2018
19,101 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
Anything to avoid a re-injury, I'd say!
Dec 2018
8:35am, 8 Dec 2018
20 posts
  •  
Little Critter
Oh poo, I thought that would be the sensible answer.

Saves me doing my first race in the pissing rain I suppose.
Dec 2018
8:50am, 8 Dec 2018
19,102 posts
  •  
Lizzie W
What about walking part of it?
Dec 2018
9:01am, 8 Dec 2018
991 posts
  •  
oumaumau
What was your weekly mileage prior to injury? I imagine the therapist intended to get you back running consistently while staying injury free.

If you were running 30 miles a week consistently (just as an example), then after a month of easy and consistent mileage, I would expect to return to pre-injury training volumes provided there is no aggravation of the injury.

If you're new to training, then take it easy as advised, there's nothing to be gained from training for a few weeks then being out again due to a repeat injury
Dec 2018
9:16am, 8 Dec 2018
3,820 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
What O said. If the injury is fixed then there’s really no reason you shouldn’t be back to pre-injury mileage within 3-4 weeks.

That’s the sensible advice. Honestly, if it were me I’d be back to previous miles in 1-2 weeks. I have quite a few miles on the clock overall though and a not so careful owner so please default to sensible advice!
Dec 2018
9:44am, 8 Dec 2018
8,525 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
Your physio's advice is sound, although you could do other cardio work to compensate for the lack of running.

However most us us would not be so patient
Dec 2018
2:57pm, 8 Dec 2018
21 posts
  •  
Little Critter
Weekly mileage before injury was probably around 20km. Being one 10km run and 2 5kms. I had just got up to comfortably (ish) running 10km, going from zero (but active, just no running) to 10km in around 6-7 weeks.

Oh well, I’ll see how I get on. Was hoping not to have to walk any of the race as I’m just a tad competitive.
Dec 2018
3:25pm, 8 Dec 2018
2,732 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I missed four months of running this summer with a hamstring tendinopathy. My physio was keen that I pushed myself hard to increase the mileage, so 15% would sound about right in the early stages.
Dec 2018
3:29pm, 8 Dec 2018
9,696 posts
  •  
Garfield
I've been too busy to get a decent mileage this year thanks to being on a yoga teacher training course since April. I've been doing about 15-18 miles a week, though the weekends when my course is on, I do a little over a mile to keep my legs gently ticking over before going to do yoga all day on both days.

About This Thread

Maintained by
I’ve been off running for a month due to a muscle strain. I saw a therapist yesterday who was very...