Inbetweenies - not skinny, not fat, need to lose around a stone ...

1 lurker | 113 watchers
Jul 2022
11:25am, 4 Jul 2022
22,886 posts
  •  
Ness
Good luck with that, BT. I know Mr Ness had changed appetite when on certain antidepressants. Can’t remember which ones he was on though.
Jul 2022
12:03pm, 4 Jul 2022
63,183 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
I was reading back on some comments and was wondering how far would you run on empty? My running is shocking at the moment but I find if I get up and out the door as soon as I waken I’m much better.

Yesterday leaving it till lunchtime and I gave up after 0.5 but today up and out and managed 7 miles. I’m a slow runner and so times are irrelevant just now abut I’ve entered the Sheepy Shuffle half marathon but would that be a step too far without breakfast?

My digestive system won’t tolerate gels so just wondering what if anything I should take with me.
Jul 2022
12:18pm, 4 Jul 2022
22,893 posts
  •  
Ness
I generally manage up to 7 or 8 miles before breakfast, LG. But that has been a build up over many years! In the preparation for Ashby 20 in March, I also did all my long runs before breakfast too. The long runs included some up to a 17 miler. If it's anything over 90 minutes I take...

50 grammes of Aldi jelly beans. I munch on those after about 40 minutes into the run until I've finished them. Then I switch to Sis energy gels and take them at about mile 13/14 and 16/17ish depending on the length of the run.

If energy gels don't work for you, have you tried jelly babies or shot bloks? I haven't used Shot Bloks but know other Fetchies like them.

I'm also going to do the Sheepy Shuffle and will probably run it as one of my long runs in preparation for Chester so that will be on a Saturday morning.

Please excuse my long rambling post. Hope you find something that helps you.
Jul 2022
12:24pm, 4 Jul 2022
63,184 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Thanks Ness. I do take jelly beans with me. When I was training for my marathon I used tailwind which I found kinder to my stomach so might buy a couple of sachets. I don’t intend doing really long runs ;-) . I took Mrs Tillys fudge with me too and that’s all I had and was fine so hopefully I can do it.
Jul 2022
12:31pm, 4 Jul 2022
33,707 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
have you tried Kendal Mint gels ... the mint makes them kind on the stomach
the chocolate mint tastes like melted after eights and they say 1 gel and hour
Jul 2022
12:36pm, 4 Jul 2022
63,186 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
No I haven't tried them EP, thanks.
Jul 2022
12:53pm, 4 Jul 2022
77,289 posts
  •  
Gobi
2 to 3hrs I'm ok if it's easy/steady
Jul 2022
2:17pm, 4 Jul 2022
90,796 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I used to do well on a rice pudding, taken about an hour beforehand. Then I'd pop jelly babies during the race, to keep myself going, mentally and physically. Slow and steady runner.
Jul 2022
2:18pm, 4 Jul 2022
90,798 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Oh, do they still do tjose honey stinger gels? They were good, I could use those without gastric repercussions...
Also, I found a pinch or two of sea salt in my water helped...
Jul 2022
2:20pm, 4 Jul 2022
77,293 posts
  •  
Gobi
I haven't seen the Honey Stingers in years. They were not so good if it got warm 😱

About This Thread

Maintained by hellen
weight loss