Inbetweenies - not skinny, not fat, need to lose around a stone ...

113 watchers
Sep 2021
9:49am, 16 Sep 2021
13 posts
  •  
JaJoKo
Of all of my 'many' dozen posts, this topic is the only one where I have been other than supportive and only because I feel that speaking about someone's personal dietary habits maybe not best shared on a forum viewable to the public.

But don't let that stop your attack ;) I suppose people should be careful on what they post in case they get this kind of reaction in the future!

Anyway, I've got better things to do with my time than worry about you guys. Be nice to see if Fetch thinks I deserve that kind of reaction.
Sep 2021
10:32am, 16 Sep 2021
26,474 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I messaged EvilPixie (EP) about this yesterday, as she'd contacted me about it. In the mean time, I've removed/trimmed two posts on the previous page, because I was alerted to them by another Fetchie. I don't condone personal attacks. I blogged about this (thankfully rare) occurrence last week: fetcheveryone.com/blog/3/2021/9#blog433399

I think JaJoKo (JJK) has a valid point about being careful about what we share online about other people. However, this was not their opening point. The initial comment (p547) suggested that EP was bitter, and in my opinion this is a one-sided view of what EP actually said. EP refuted this, politely in my opinion, but JJK continued to put forth the 'bitter' argument. It is only in JJK's third post that they make the point about online sharing, but by this time, the upset and division was in place.

As I said in my blog, I fully expect the forum to be a place where people will disagree with each other from time to time. But we should all take a minute to think about how we come across.

Congratulations Nick on reaching your weight target!
Sep 2021
10:50am, 16 Sep 2021
14 posts
  •  
JaJoKo
You are correct Fetch. The word bitter was way too strong, I am not the best with that type of post! Many apologies EP.

Feel free to delete all my posts on this matter if it makes it easier (including this one). Maybe I will then lose the target that has appeared on my back ;)
Sep 2021
11:04am, 16 Sep 2021
23,410 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Interesting. I could do with losing now a bit more than a stone (for some reason my weight has increased fairly quickly over about six months: It would be nice to think it's all muscle as I've been doing some weights, but it's not.)

But I tend to not participate in this thread, or comment elsewhere, as I find their can be an attitude of "all weight loss good: quick weight loss good" in a bit of an unquestioning way. And that's something I disagree with pretty strongly. What weight are we trying to lose? I think fat is the answer. Lose ten pounds in two weeks? Do you think that's ten ponds of fat? Do you think therefore, it should be lauded?

I sometimes am tempted to try something like that. I'd like to feel ten pounds lighter, even if I knew it's not "real". Maybe I'm bitter because I'm actually too lazy to try.

But I agree with EP. And I don't think it is helpful to always be "supportive". Sometimes the best thing you can do for a friend is tell them that they are being an idiot. Some may find that a bit blunt. Er, ;-)
Sep 2021
11:23am, 16 Sep 2021
8,298 posts
  •  
The Great Raemondo
Having lost a loved one because of fatphobia and body dysmorphia and known too many lives ruined by disordered eating I will never be in the 'all weightloss is good, by whatever means necessary' camp, nor will I be in the 'being overweight is the worst health sin a person can commit' camp.

There's a ton of evidence that faddy restrictive diets are bad for the human body and mind, encouraging people to pursue them is not supportive any more than encouraging binge drinking or recreational heroin use is supportive.
Sep 2021
11:26am, 16 Sep 2021
22,404 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Thanks Fetch :)

I’d just like to wake up 10lbs lighter with a belly that doesn’t wobble and bits that don’t rub and chafe when I run - but liposuction is the only way tht’s going to happen!
I don’t want to los anything other than fat, so it’s slowly all the way here. Bloody frustrating though!
Sep 2021
11:38am, 16 Sep 2021
15 posts
  •  
JaJoKo
It is a fine balance and both extremes have problems. Continued fad diets are unhealthy but you have to remember that obesity kills more people than smoking in the UK. I have lost friends and family to it and one has also lost limbs due to diabetes.

Supportive doesn't always mean supporting fad diets - it can also mean having a quiet word with someone and hopefully educating.
Sep 2021
11:39am, 16 Sep 2021
16 posts
  •  
JaJoKo
Sorry - I promised myself not to post anymore on this. That's the last one I promise!
Sep 2021
12:29pm, 16 Sep 2021
79,613 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Dvorak, reason why I am here!
I needed to loose a stone in January: a butyon popped off my usually roomy work trousers and I only still fitted into one pair of jeans!
I have been agonisingly slow, converting fat into muscle again.
Covid fat. I lost the will to walk and ride when we had to circle around our field and cycle within a 5 mile radius from home and started eating far too much chocolate to compensate ;)
All I have done is cut out most of the chocolate and upped my walking and cycling. I am now nearly there. I rather suspect by Christmas, having taken exactly as many months to loose as I took to gain...
Sep 2021
12:49pm, 16 Sep 2021
1,282 posts
  •  
Welshpoppy
I will bow out of this thread as I found it very supportive in the beginning but it has not been that for a long time.

Good luck on your journey's.

About This Thread

Maintained by hellen
weight loss