Let's talk about inaugural parkruns after they've happened.

310 watchers
May 2022
2:16pm, 10 May 2022
317 posts
  •  
Craigellachie
But there’s no bar to include the name of the town in the naming policy if it’s part of the name of the park! Forfar Loch is another example.
May 2022
2:28pm, 10 May 2022
25,311 posts
  •  
Dvorak
A knife a fork a bottle and a cork,
That's the way we spell New York!

If you go down the Dillinger route instead ;-)

Anyway, looking at the map around Ashbourne, Uttoxeter seems a notable omission. A little searching indicates trial events, but then Covid. Nearby Burton also had a passing mention.

Slightly oddly, Uttoxeter Road Runners have announced the resumption of their Park Run championship for 2022 - with bonus points awarded for volunteering at Uttoxeter parkrun.

uttoxeterroadrunners.club
May 2022
2:39pm, 10 May 2022
13,863 posts
  •  
Sigh
Uttoxeter has been on the cards for a while, not sure of the start date - but when it does it will also fill a hole:

May 2022
10:44pm, 10 May 2022
318 posts
  •  
Craigellachie
I’ve seen lots of chat about Uttoxeter but the soft start policy means it won’t go online till a few days before launch - whenever launch is. I also know from recent experience that there’s a queue of new parkruns waiting to launch and it’s 6-8 weeks from absolutely everything being nailed down to actually starting because HQ only have so many staff and some staff time is still tied up relaunching events post Covid, which reduces the staff resource for new events. Once we had final permission to go ahead the start date was six weeks after that. I saw on another group that it’s currently eight weeks.
May 2022
10:46pm, 10 May 2022
319 posts
  •  
Craigellachie
As for why there’s a gap on the map - 90% of the time the answer is the same. Lots of people asked why there was no parkrun here in Arbroath but the simple answer was no one had made a serious offer to start one.
Jun 2022
10:32am, 12 Jun 2022
25,455 posts
  •  
Dvorak
An eighth 5K parkrun launched in Glasgow yesterday, Elder Park parkrun in Govan. parkrun.org.uk A third for south of the Clyde, though it's closest neighbour is actually Victoria, at the other end of the Clyde Tunnel. And a park more or less unknown to me.

Turnout of 193, a good spread of times, although with a final finisher on 47:29, some may count it as a limited success ;-) Actually, there were only 7 new parkrunners, and another 7 on 5 or fewer previous parkruns. The other 92% of finishers had all recorded 10 or more previous parkruns. Might this indicate that Glasgow is nearing parkrun saturation, at least amongst those, how can I phrase this, most likely to parkrun?

It'll be interesting to how numbers are in a couple of months, once all the locally curious have been. It may do ok, as only the second flattish Glasgow parkrun, the other six ranging from bumpy to heinous.

There is also a junior parkrun in the park, which started last August. It may be approaching the parkrun ideal though, as it often has more volunteers than finishers.
Jun 2022
11:10am, 12 Jun 2022
22,820 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Good update Dvorak. And yet Edinburgh is very light on Parkrun’s and the talk of holyrood has gone quiet. As have the other couple I had heard mooted.

I could have done with a less exposed option yesterday.
Jun 2022
11:56am, 12 Jun 2022
374 posts
  •  
Craigellachie
Good update Dvorak. And yet Edinburgh is very light on Parkrun’s and the talk of holyrood has gone quiet. As have the other couple I had heard mooted. I could have done with a less exposed option yesterday.

Quiet isn’t necessarily bad news. Soft start policy means it does go quiet in the run up to launch. There’s actually been too much talk about Holyrood TBH. If the gossip has calmed down (though I can’t say I’ve noticed from where I am) that might be a good thing.
Jun 2022
11:55pm, 12 Jun 2022
8,887 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
It may be approaching the parkrun ideal though, as it often has more volunteers than finishers.Nothing ideal about that. There is plenty of work going on to try and promote junior parkruns in Scotland located in deprived areas.
Jun 2022
12:01am, 13 Jun 2022
8,888 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
It'll be interesting to see if Elder Park 5k attracts locals from deprived areas around. Or whether it reduces numbers at Victoria, being a flat option.

About This Thread

Maintained by sLickster
There may be an inaugural parkrun happening near you. Best to check with the local parkrun volunteers to see if they want you to know about it or not.

Otherwise there are plenty of already established parkruns to go to in the UK and abroad, see: parkrun.org.uk