BETTER WITHOUT ADS? Become a voluntary supporter

Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

In the above the neck/below the neck theory....

2 watchers
May 2012
10:59am, 18 May 2012
27 posts
macapple
What is the throat classed as? My throat has always been my weak point. It can get a bit sore and scratchy and sometimes just goes, sometimes develops into something worse but i'm never sure whether I should keep running (I usually do)
Sorry if this is a dumb question.
May 2012
11:00am, 18 May 2012
969 posts
Mr_SJ
personally i still run, only take a break if its something in the chest and breathing is difficult.
May 2012
11:05am, 18 May 2012
4249 posts
RichHL
There are no dumb questions. There are sometimes dumb answers. This might be one.

If you feel rubbish and run-down, don't run. You'll know yourself whether it's something more chesty during which you should rest up or something closer to a scratchy throat and sniffles. Personally, I count the throat as 'above the neck' unless the bug has completely zonked me.
May 2012
11:06am, 18 May 2012
12915 posts
JohnnyO
Its not a dumb question, but there isnt a good answer.
Rich and SJ are right. Its to do with whether you are knackered or just sniffly/scratchy.
May 2012
11:09am, 18 May 2012
2513 posts
sprouty76
I think the main thing with the above/below the neck idea is to prevent people with a chest infection from making it worse. I'd say on that basis that a sore throat is above the neck in this context. But it really comes does to how you feel.
May 2012
11:16am, 18 May 2012
28 posts
macapple
That's super, thank you all for your quick responses.

At the moment, it's just my throat and luckily I'm able to have a quiet day at home with my wee one so hopefully will be fighting fit tomorrow.

Thanks again
Dec 2020
9:13am, 2 Dec 2020
216 posts
SteveC amid the winters snow
In the chest? Have a rest.
Neck and up? Giddy up!

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by macapple
What is the throat classed as? My throat has always been my weak point. It can get a bit sore and ...