In the above the neck/below the neck theory....

2 watchers
May 2012
10:59am, 18 May 2012
27 posts
  •  
macapple
What is the throat classed as? My throat has always been my weak point. It can get a bit sore and scratchy and sometimes just goes, sometimes develops into something worse but i'm never sure whether I should keep running (I usually do)
Sorry if this is a dumb question.
May 2012
11:00am, 18 May 2012
969 posts
  •  
Mr_SJ
personally i still run, only take a break if its something in the chest and breathing is difficult.
May 2012
11:05am, 18 May 2012
4,249 posts
  •  
RichHL
There are no dumb questions. There are sometimes dumb answers. This might be one.

If you feel rubbish and run-down, don't run. You'll know yourself whether it's something more chesty during which you should rest up or something closer to a scratchy throat and sniffles. Personally, I count the throat as 'above the neck' unless the bug has completely zonked me.
May 2012
11:06am, 18 May 2012
12,915 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Its not a dumb question, but there isnt a good answer.
Rich and SJ are right. Its to do with whether you are knackered or just sniffly/scratchy.
May 2012
11:09am, 18 May 2012
2,513 posts
  •  
sprouty76
I think the main thing with the above/below the neck idea is to prevent people with a chest infection from making it worse. I'd say on that basis that a sore throat is above the neck in this context. But it really comes does to how you feel.
May 2012
11:16am, 18 May 2012
28 posts
  •  
macapple
That's super, thank you all for your quick responses.

At the moment, it's just my throat and luckily I'm able to have a quiet day at home with my wee one so hopefully will be fighting fit tomorrow.

Thanks again
Dec 2020
9:13am, 2 Dec 2020
216 posts
  •  
SteveC amid the winters snow
In the chest? Have a rest.
Neck and up? Giddy up!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by macapple
What is the throat classed as? My throat has always been my weak point. It can get a bit sore and ...