Importing training from Fitbit

5 watchers
Jul 2015
12:51pm, 9 Jul 2015
5,946 posts
  •  
Duchess
I'm currently using a Fitbit One and tracking exercise through it. As it has the functionality to record runs and routes, etc, is there any way I can import this into my Fetch training log? My laptop is a little old and creaky but will probably manage the basics.
Jul 2015
1:15pm, 9 Jul 2015
3,128 posts
  •  
RevBarbaraG
I recently upgraded from a One to a Charge HR - but am intrigued when you say the One has the ability to record routes?? It has no GPS facility, so how does it do that?

FWIW, I've found with all fitbits that the distance estimate - which is based on the stride length you input - is only going to be accurate if the terrain you're walking on is predominantly flat. As soon as you include significant gradients, you automatically shorten your stride, so your fitbit tends to overestimate distance travelled. For that reason, I use a Garmin to record my runs and proper walks (as against strolling to the shops).

I still like to see my fitbit's step count and flights of stairs, though, and I often use the activity mode as that gives me a HR measurement once a minute without needing to wear the HR strap that goes with my Garmin.
Jul 2015
1:41pm, 9 Jul 2015
29 posts
  •  
hookyspelooky
I had a fitbit one for a while but found that driving added to my stepcount somehow, presumably the vibrations from the car or something.
I also found that it made me justify snacking rather than motivating me to do anything so I sold it.
Jul 2015
1:54pm, 9 Jul 2015
16,166 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I've just been given a Fitbit Surge, which has GPS - and when you go to the Fitbit website, there's the option to export your run as a TCX file. But as RevBG says, if it doesn't have GPS, I'm not sure how it would be able to generate that sort of file.
Jul 2015
2:31pm, 9 Jul 2015
3,129 posts
  •  
RevBarbaraG
I was tempted by the Surge.... but couldn't justify it to myself, since my Garmin 620 was then only 16 months old. And then Garmin brought out the 225, which does all the things I can currently think of wanting, i.e. day-long tracking of steps, stairs and HR, GPS tracking of runs/cycles, is also waterproof and tracks swimming, and sleep, AND has an idle alert (which fitbits currently lack). But I can't currently justify it to myself, since my Garmin 620 is only 18 months old and my fitbit Charge HR only 2 months old.

In a few years, when my current tech starts to look old hat, they will have brought out something better which does all of that, AND controls my central heating. Meanwhile, I am working my way up to justifying a better phone, since my current one (HTC wildfire S) has a rubbish internal memory, which effectively means I can only run about two apps on it, AND it doesn't sync my fitbit.

Or maybe I should upgrade my iPad, since most apps won't run on it.

Or maybe I should get treatment for tech envy.
Jul 2015
2:33pm, 9 Jul 2015
5,947 posts
  •  
Duchess
Sorry, I should probably have clarified that I'm also using the Fitbit app on a Windows phone. Which, when I think about it, is actually the device that's creating the route and GPS. muppet

Fetch - where is the Fitbit website? I can find the "sales" website, but nothing that has "my" details in it.
Jul 2015
2:41pm, 9 Jul 2015
24,487 posts
  •  
Nick Cook
fitbit.com

On the top right there's a 'dashboard' link, that should take you to your page.
Jul 2015
3:07pm, 9 Jul 2015
5,948 posts
  •  
Duchess
muppet muppet muppet
Dec 2016
11:13am, 6 Dec 2016
18,022 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
I'm working on integrating this more seamlessly - have a read:

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/blog-view.php?id=3&m=12&y=2016#blog360677

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Duchess
I'm currently using a Fitbit One and tracking exercise through it. As it has the functionality to ...