Impact injuries

2 watchers
Jul 2017
6:01pm, 16 Jul 2017
9,200 posts
  •  
Gymfreak
I have 2, one is much more of a concern than the other

Main one- shoulder. It isn't broken as it's been x rayed. 6 days on from the injury it hasn't improved much, I really can hardly move the arm, hurts to sleep, etc etc. There is a fairly specific area collarbone-ish. I would be sure it was broken if I didn't know it wasn't. If it's some sort of ligament problem, can you ask for an MRI or some sort of scan or do doctors only do this way down the line and basically I just should wait? Not driving is so restrictive (never mind no cycling!) if it was getting better each day I would be more comfortable, but it's not. I just can't use my arm

Knee- this is really just swelling/bruising I think. Can see it's swollen on outside of kneecap. I still can't bend it enough to walk properly but it is improving vv gradually (I think!) each day. Wondering if sitting on a spin bike and just pedalling gently to get it all moving would help it, or whether I should be walking normally first or it will make it worse ? Just want the quickest recovery, I'm not dealing with all this very well!!!

Any thoughts/ideas?!
Jul 2017
6:35pm, 16 Jul 2017
93 posts
  •  
Brig
Ouch! Perhaps you could get some advice on rehab from a physio to make sure you get it right?
Jul 2017
6:40pm, 16 Jul 2017
9,201 posts
  •  
Gymfreak
Yeah, my physio is on holiday for another week, so cant see him till he is home. Also, I'm making an insurance claim against a driver and not sure if they will pay for private physio or whether it's NHS, I just don't know how it all works yet
Jul 2017
6:45pm, 16 Jul 2017
8,394 posts
  •  
Ness
Hope you can get some physio quickly.
Jul 2017
6:47pm, 16 Jul 2017
265 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Shoulder wise it might be worth getting your ligaments checked - when I broke my collar bone the A&E doctor didn't realise I'd also ruptured all the ligaments (which then needed replacing). I'd go to your GP or back to A&E if you're going to have to wait weeks for an appointment. Sleep wise try propping yourself with a v-pillow and a pillow under the bad arm (stuffed into your armpit). I'd mobilise the knee very gently until the swelling has subsided. Disclaimer - I'm accident prone, not a doctor or physio.
Jul 2017
6:50pm, 16 Jul 2017
9,202 posts
  •  
Gymfreak
LMH that's how I'm trying to sleep, with a pillow under it scrunched up.

So GP can organise this ligament scan thing? Whereas my knee feels like 'swollen and will fix' and lots of other bits of me are stiff, shoulder feels different, like something is really wrong with it
Jul 2017
5:40am, 17 Jul 2017
266 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I had a referral to fracture clinic due to broken collar bone and ribs and the consultant knew on examination that the ligaments had gone so I guess what you need is to see someone who knows what they are looking for but generally speaking GPs are the gatekeepers to most of the rest of the NHS.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Gymfreak
I have 2, one is much more of a concern than the other

Main one- shoulder. It isn't broken a...