Ikano Robin Hood Marathon and Half Marathon 2014

10 watchers
Sep 2014
7:03pm, 28 Sep 2014
118 posts
  •  
Gromit
Just read your blog ness , we must have been close at lots of points and my time was 2.08 :-)
Sep 2014
7:10pm, 28 Sep 2014
5,860 posts
  •  
Ness
Must have been close, yes. Agree that the section by Boots was a bit dull. I liked the riverside bits though.

Great time on such a warm day, btw... :)
Sep 2014
7:13pm, 28 Sep 2014
119 posts
  •  
Gromit
It was very hot hadn't planned for it being 22 degrees , horrible to see so many people collapsed on the route at various places but especially on the home straight , I hope they were all ok :-(
Sep 2014
7:17pm, 28 Sep 2014
5,861 posts
  •  
Ness
I was very surprised by the number of people who struggled with the heat. Like you, hope that they are OK.
Sep 2014
7:27pm, 28 Sep 2014
3,887 posts
  •  
Watford Wobble
Bit hot, very crowded but I enjoyed it. Saw a number of ill looking runners at circa 16 to 18 miles. Very nearly thought about binning the race at 12 but trotted it out.
Sep 2014
7:58pm, 28 Sep 2014
421 posts
  •  
faithfulred
Wow that was tough! PW by a good 30mins and I could see that there were many struggling around me. I could feel just a few limes in that this was going to be tough. Coming up to the split point I was seriously considering asking a marshal if I could switch to the half, but I decided to slug it out.
Sep 2014
7:58pm, 28 Sep 2014
7 posts
  •  
Hissing Sid
Struggled to find the Training village yesterday but did eventually. They had no T-shirts in my size although I had ordered one with my race-number. Not a good start. Disappointed by the race start as it wasn't clear where to go and which pen but got there in time. Could not find the 3:30 guy and then found out they weren't sure if he was running and if he did he would be leaving at the Half-Marathon distance as he didn't have confidence!
Found the Half-Marathon not too bad and met some good guys and we chatted for a few mile. One doing his first Half Marathon in 7 years who said he was following me as I seemed to have a reasonable pace and another guy who was on his 37th Marathon of the year (respect). Some of the roads/paths on the Half seemed quite narrow so difficult to get a steady speed going (although I managed ~8 min miles well upto mile 14)
Second half was quite picturesque at river, race-course and lake BUT I blew up at about mile 22 and walked which I had wanted to avoid. Seeing so many people starting to walk plays tricks on your mental. Ove I'd walked once that was me I couldn't really get going again and I finished at ~ 3:47. Still beats my PB of 32 years ago which was 4 Hours +. Was sick (several times) after finishing and heaven knows how I made it back to the car but thanks to my wife I did. Was back to normal after about 2 hours from finishing and looking forward to a steak-pie tea.
There is a good chance people weren't talking in the second half because they were so shattered.
Not sure I'll sign up again BUT good experience and looking back on it more positives than negatives
Well done to all that ran full or half
Sep 2014
7:59pm, 28 Sep 2014
422 posts
  •  
faithfulred
Miles not limes!
Sep 2014
8:35pm, 28 Sep 2014
1,065 posts
  •  
mole_thing
Well done to all who ran. Hot wasn't it?

Rather unimpressed with the single pacers and particularly that the 3.30 guy packed it in half way. I was following him, but hadn't picked up that this would happen and was unprepared for it.
Sep 2014
9:41am, 29 Sep 2014
1,112 posts
  •  
DrDan
I saw the 3:30 pacer at the start but not once we got going ... and I ran at 8/m for 22 miles?

Legs gave up at 22 and I came in at 3:35. Pleased with my pacing - I just chose the wrong pace on the day (8:05/m would have possible been ok). Good course ... hot work but plenty of water en-route.

The lack of shower facilities was a drag and would possible stop me re-entering again.

About This Thread

Maintained by Lemon10
It's getting closer to the race date, how has everyone's training gone? I haven't received my nu...