If my VO2 Max is quite good why am not getting results ?

6 watchers
Apr 2016
2:47pm, 19 Apr 2016
11,122 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
I'm a huge advocate of strength training....it really helps in all sports, including endurance based events. The benefits are many fold:

* Optimises the bodies force, power and velocity capabilities specific for the athletes and event.
* Improves running economy and neuromuscular characteristics.
* Ensure better movement, higher force producing capabilities and more velocity.

If done correctly also reduces the likelihood of injury and addresses muscular imbalances.
Apr 2016
9:26pm, 19 Apr 2016
32,119 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
That's lots of long words there but I went circuits last night did speedwork tonight and in the words of my 3 year old ' I'm strong'
Apr 2016
9:05am, 20 Apr 2016
11,123 posts
  •  
SODIron © 2002
You may be strong but could you be stronger?

Any athlete who wants to achieve their best performances and wants to become a more robust athlete who can handle a higher volume of training without breaking down will need to include strength and conditioning.

Whilst a traditional circuits class is better than nothing a more targeted strength & conditioning programme would be beneficial for runners. The programme needs to address the *individuals* own imbalances and weaknesses, flexibility (ROM) and provide a solid progression moving through the key phases (Conditioning > Hypertrophy > Strength Endurance > Power > Max Strength).

You can pretty much guarantee that any athlete who successfully goes through this will become a better endurance beast, will dramatically reduce their likelihood of injury and, as a consequence will be able to undergo an increased training volume.
Apr 2016
10:59am, 20 Apr 2016
32,122 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Always mate.

Circuits will start to be part of my norm I think plus try and do some planks.

We do Squats, Lunges, Upper Body etc its all good stuff

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Hills of Death (HOD)
I guess the obvious answer is weight I'm down from 13 stone to 11.13 with more to come off.

But ...