idea (well great idea!!!) :-)

6 watchers
Oct 2012
11:35am, 1 Oct 2012
1,160 posts
  •  
Curly45
I commute cycle (sometimes I run but 18 miles each way is too much to do regularly). It saves me about £50 a month on train fares and gets me fitter and actually saves time!
Oct 2012
11:35am, 1 Oct 2012
3,023 posts
  •  
paul the builder
I don't care if it saves money or not, it's great training and I actually enjoy it!
Oct 2012
11:43am, 1 Oct 2012
3,024 posts
  •  
paul the builder
""Do you eat back every extra calorie (minus BMR as dd says)? ""

Well, I'm not trying to lose weight so in principle, yes. I probably am a couple of pounds lighter than 3 months ago, but that's not significant over that time.

""And what the bloody hell are you eating that costs £3.55? Easiest way is to add extras to what you are already cooking to eat that over and above. Then we should be talking about £1-2 max, including extra fruit/snacks.""

I don't think £3.55 is an extravagant budget for a day's-worth of food, far from it! But I guess you're right, that adding extra pasta, rice, bread etc. to the meal that I'm having anyway isn't going to cost very much extra. I don't really monitor what I eat, so I don't know what the extra stuff is. I just eat when I'm hungry, and stop when I'm full. And it must be c. 7,000 calories per week extra above BMR, or I'd be wasting away.
dd
Oct 2012
11:55am, 1 Oct 2012
255 posts
  •  
dd
Sure if Paul was *careful* about his extra calories but lets say he bought two sandwiches instead of one cos he was starving at lunch then an extra pack of crisps and an energy drink that's probably only 1000 cals and could be costing him near to his £3.55. Would be easy to do.
Oct 2012
12:20pm, 1 Oct 2012
21,760 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
It costs me £7.50 a day in petrol to drive to and from work. But it's impractical for many reasons for me to do my commute any way other than by car, and car use at work is explicitly included in my partnership agreement. It would take many, many bike commutes to cover the cost of a suitable bike and bags to carry my work stuff back and forward, and by the time that was paid up I'd be needing to replace lots of bike consumables, so it may well not be financially worth it.

My nod towards economy has been to have my working week arranged so that I work full days rather than bits of days whenever possible. And to drive at a sedate pace if it doesn't inconvenience other traffic. Getting stuck behind tractors and flocks of sheep tends to help with this :)
Oct 2012
12:37pm, 1 Oct 2012
7,964 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
Reckon the cost of driving at above 45p/mile as that is what HMRC recognise. IMO it's probably an awful lot more than that, as it was 40p/mile in 1996 when I moved to the UK.

But wear and tear on running shoes comes to 20p/mile if shoes cost £100 and only last 500 miles. And amusingly, that is also a carbon footprint.
Oct 2012
1:25pm, 1 Oct 2012
10,018 posts
  •  
controversial
hmmm CHris you need to look at cheaper shoes ... in any case ... we are not looking at switching from car commuting to running commuting everybody ... just to give you an idea of the money you save if you commute !sometimes! running instead of taking the car.
Oct 2012
5:32pm, 1 Oct 2012
3,026 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Contro!! We think it's a great idea too!! Just that working out what you actually save is quite complicated...
Oct 2012
8:31am, 23 Oct 2012
13,809 posts
  •  
hellen
It's also about time saved as you don't have to run later. The run commute may take a bit longer but overall you are getting in more miles for hardly any extra time

Not on the same scale but I now gym commute all of 2 miles each way. It prob only takes a few min longer each way but for those few extra min I get in 4 miles /35 min of cardio and save petrol

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by controversial
I was thinking, one way of motivating people to do their running, and specially for those of us that...