Ibuprofen Question (Any Fetch GPs I wonder)

2 watchers
Aug 2013
8:36pm, 14 Aug 2013
2,583 posts
  •  
Endorphins Junky
I'm not allowed to take ibuprofen tablets or any other NSAIDs due to being a Crohn's sufferer. Did once, before I knew, and it wasn't pretty.

But can I use ibuprofen gel topically? Sore Achilles which is inflamed - can feel it. Want to use a bit of ibuprofen gel but can't help but think I may regret it.
Aug 2013
9:15pm, 14 Aug 2013
16,689 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Probably safe, the systemic absorption is minimal, however, so are the benefits.

I seem to recall some evidence that said the benefit derived from NSAID gels was mostly from the massaging action of rubbing the stuff in.

Depends how much you want to risk bleeding/Crohns problems for minimal and transient benefits?
Aug 2013
9:19pm, 14 Aug 2013
2,587 posts
  •  
Endorphins Junky
Maybe TigerBalm migt be better in that case?
Thanks for the input JO
Aug 2013
9:22pm, 14 Aug 2013
26,591 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I agree with JO. In theory, you might expect to get some benefit because the achilles tendon is so close to the surface that it's plausible that the active ingredient in the NSAID gel might penetrate far enough to reach it. In reality, there's not much evidence that this happens.

I wouldn't dissuade you from trying, though :)
Aug 2013
9:24pm, 14 Aug 2013
16,690 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I would try tiger-balm, rest (not easy for an achilles), and re-assess.

Biggest problem with achilles injuries is the poor blood supply, massage and keep it warm.
Aug 2013
9:32pm, 14 Aug 2013
2,588 posts
  •  
Endorphins Junky
Thanks both. Will try that.
Aug 2013
5:10pm, 19 Aug 2013
62,781 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Re poor blood supply: I find massage with a warming oil like tigerbalm as well as using hot/cold on the area in alternation a couple of times a day helps the blood supply and therefore healing of niggles/injuries... and stretch it of course.
Sep 2013
3:18pm, 13 Sep 2013
20,982 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Thanks for link to this EJ. Interesting re ibuprofen gel. I am lucky that I don't suffer Crohn's so could I self prescribe NSAIDs to help to reduce pain but more to reduce inflammation (perceived. warning, this is a self-diagnosis) of achilles.

Then warm and massage 'em. And also hot/cold treatment? I was going to start icing. How does tiger balm help? Does it encourage blood flow? Re. massage, needless to say they are pretty tender tendons to touch. Is it still OK to massage e.g. foam roller even if they are sore? Not "causing more damage"? i.e. just MTFU?!

Should I rest immediately (would rather not, obv!) It's been like this for 2-3 months and I haven't rested. It's getting worse but not quickly or very badly.

Thanks Fetch docs! :-)G
Sep 2013
3:29pm, 13 Sep 2013
8,619 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
I like it when the docs agree.
Sep 2013
4:46pm, 13 Sep 2013
27,185 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I wouldn't, :)G. Achilles tendinosis isn't an inflammatory condition.

My advice would be to leave the tendons alone, don't go poking at them or hitting them with sticks, and limit your runs - for now - to just short of the point at which they start to hurt, and cross-train instead.

Tiger balm is mostly a smelly placebo, and warming/cooling the overlying skin won't help.

You're probably not going to do any permanent damage by running if it's bearable to run, but I can't imagine running through the pain will be all that satisfying.

Maybe, though, getting a proper diagnosis would be worthwhile. If an achilles-site pain is persistent, there could be a problem higher up your legs or in your back.

About This Thread

Maintained by Endorphins Junky
I'm not allowed to take ibuprofen tablets or any other NSAIDs due to being a Crohn's sufferer. Di...