IBS

10 watchers
Aug 2013
2:14pm, 19 Aug 2013
878 posts
  •  
The Juicer
Bleurgh. Anyone else suffer from horrible IBS?

I get it every now and then. Usually lasts 3 or 4 days or so. Horribly debilitating stomach cramps and a belly like a beach ball.

All the advice talks about it mostly being caused by stress, but I'm sure this isn't my problem.

Would love to hear about how anyone else deals with it........................
Aug 2013
2:17pm, 19 Aug 2013
14,782 posts
  •  
Nick Cook
Mrs C used to get it, and I think it was stress related. I used to get cross about it, so she doesn't get it any more (or doesn't mention it).
Aug 2013
2:25pm, 19 Aug 2013
539 posts
  •  
Tomsmum
Yes, its both hormonal and stress related for me but also any other illness I get the IBS rears its ugly head. i find that diet alterations really help and did the MONASH diet for about 6 month and go back to it as I need to. I worked out that wheat is a significant trigger for me and if I avoid that then I can control the pain and other nasty results if not the bloating..

med.monash.edu
kcl.ac.uk
Aug 2013
2:25pm, 19 Aug 2013
26,693 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Aye. I'm a martyr to my cantankerous colon, and so is everyone downwind of me if I eat onions, brassicas, most fruits, or anything sweetened with anything ending in -ol. Or if I go jogging.

Take a look at this ... ibsgroup.org
Aug 2013
2:30pm, 19 Aug 2013
10,460 posts
  •  
Ultracat
I suffer too, just have to watch what I eat, it can be brought by stress but the symptoms themselves can be rather stressful especially the need to find a toilet in a hurry.
Aug 2013
2:30pm, 19 Aug 2013
26,694 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Whereas I'm neither here nor there with wheat and other gluten-containing grains, cheese and yogurt.

I have to eat a very beige diet and this distresses me because I love fruit'n'veg.
Aug 2013
3:32pm, 19 Aug 2013
879 posts
  •  
The Juicer
Hmmm, that's interesting, thanks folks. I eat a lot of those FODMAP foods, and believe many of them to be 'healthy'. Indeed, this last particular flare-up started after beans on toast at Thursday lunchtime.

Trouble is, I probably only get flare-ups perhaps 3 or 4 times a year, and the rest of the time I can eat the foods without a problem. I'm not sure I should cut them out all of the time. I could experiment with 'going beige' if I notice an attack coming on.
Aug 2013
3:45pm, 19 Aug 2013
10,461 posts
  •  
Ultracat
juicer maybe helpful to keep a food diary,
Aug 2013
3:58pm, 19 Aug 2013
880 posts
  •  
The Juicer
I just printed off the diary page which I found a link to on that website Vrap linked to. Will be worth keeping I think when I have a flare up. Racking my brains tryint to think what I'd eaten last few days, and especially yesterday, that seemed to aggravate it.
Aug 2013
4:03pm, 19 Aug 2013
540 posts
  •  
Tomsmum
I tend to find that its something else that starts it and then food becomes and issue rather than the other way round. I think though IBS has become a catch all term for many seemingly inexplicable gastro symptoms and that there is not one size suits everyone treatment diet/medication/meditation whatever..

About This Thread

Maintained by The Juicer
Bleurgh. Anyone else suffer from horrible IBS?

I get it every now and then. Usually lasts 3 or 4 ...