I wish someone had a crystal ball....

7 watchers
Feb 2014
4:00pm, 9 Feb 2014
1,512 posts
  •  
RevBarbaraG
Ah.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I will.... just that, even though Sensible Barbara thinks one is enough and will prove the point, Mad Reckless Adrenalin Junkie Barbara likes the sound of the 100 marathon club. However, she also likes being married, and has obligations which do somewhat get in the way of training.
Feb 2014
4:26pm, 9 Feb 2014
898 posts
  •  
Lorraine
This is a really tough call. I have no doubt you will get to the start line. You don't really need to taper just bring the mileage down for the last week. Because of illness while training for my first marathon I didn't run further than 14 miles - having said that I had been running 12 mikes every week for 6 months before I started marathon training.

I think the really concern here is the mental side. You said yourself you hadn't realised how much marathon training us about the mental ability and at this stage if you have any doubts,which you do, I would be questioning whether it's the right thing to do. I know how hard it is for you understandably to get a pass for a Sunday but could you open up negotiations with all involved - your OH and the charity - see if you can find another marathon later in the year ? Yes London is fab but honestly and truthfully there are plenty of wonderful other marathons throughout the year. I think you will be in a better place if you can find a way of changing marathons. The last thing any of us want is for you not to enjoy your first marathon.
Feb 2014
4:31pm, 9 Feb 2014
1,514 posts
  •  
RevBarbaraG
When I started this thread, I had no doubts about my ability to finish the marathon. I still don't. I had questions about how quickly it was advisable to ramp my running back up, so as to be sufficiently well-trained to finish the marathon well, without risking reinjury (which would put paid to it).
Feb 2014
4:38pm, 9 Feb 2014
743 posts
  •  
DuncanG
I had niggling calf problems before my first marathon - up to about six weeks out - but not so bad that I had to stop training altogether and by the time I had tapered, I had forgotten about them (just about). I would recommend going to Sports Direct and getting a really cheap pair of football socks - cost about £3 - and just popping these on for a couple of hours after any achy sessions. I still do this now, five years on, and even did it this morning after my run. Can't say it's a miracle cure though.

In terms of fitness, you want to get your other cardio work up to a decent level to compensate for the lack of outdoors stuff - I know someone who did London last year on about 3 runs a week but this was supplemented by a fair bit of cycling, swimming, gym sessions, and although not ideal, she did really well.

If you get to the start line, you are going to have a blast. And if you make it to the finish line too, then you will have done better than Mo Farah did on his first attempt :-). I wish you the very best of luck.
Feb 2014
4:57pm, 9 Feb 2014
899 posts
  •  
Lorraine
I never doubted you getting to the start or finishing I am worried that you are worrying so much - if that makes sense ?
I am doing VLM off 3 runs a week and 2 lots of circuits/weights - my knee injury hasn't fully gone, it's been with me for 2 years. Some are asking why I am evening thinking about it, especially as I only started training in January. Why am I doing it ? I was offered a place, the time doesn't bother me I am simply going to enjoy myself because that is the way I am mentally preparing I am finding the training easy.

Does that answer your question? No it doesn't but hopefully you can see it from a different point of view. Each marathon run is a personal achievement. You did it not your next fair neighbour or Great Aunty Flo - Rev this is about you and if you no doubt you can do it you you will succeed.

On the day you will dig deep and find the inner strength to start and finish. Try not to worry about how far, when to up the mileage just keep every thing in working order. If that means cut the running out for a but then jump on the bike and get the mikes in your legs that way (after I tore my calf muscle in 2 places, I spent hours on my bike ) Try to shut your ears and listen yo your heart and head.
Feb 2014
8:09pm, 9 Feb 2014
1,516 posts
  •  
RevBarbaraG
I think I'm more wondering than worrying, really.

I had already come to the conclusion that I will do the same amount of time in aerobic training as I planned to do running, but substitute bike, crosstrainer or rower for whatever running it's not advisable for me to do.

I was doing 4 runs a week plus 2 strength sessions. The recommendation now is not to run on consecutive days - hence once of my "runs" is now a crosstraining session. And my other "runs" are part RWR, part something else.

I guess I started this thread looking for an answer to "when will it be safe for me to RWR the whole of my long run". Maybe it won't.
Feb 2014
8:16pm, 9 Feb 2014
5,036 posts
  •  
Pestomum
There are more and more multiple marathon events these days, so you can tick off the 100 club in a year or so when you retire ;-)

I think you're being very patient and sensible about this and I'm confident you'll be trained sufficiently to start and to finish well.
Feb 2014
8:16pm, 9 Feb 2014
5,037 posts
  •  
Pestomum
There are more and more multiple marathon events these days, so you can tick off the 100 club in a year or so when you retire ;-)

I think you're being very patient and sensible about this and I'm confident you'll be trained sufficiently to start and to finish well.
Feb 2014
9:10pm, 9 Feb 2014
900 posts
  •  
Lorraine
And I don't think any of us can answer that - although I am already looking forward to next years blogs about the enigma quad ;-)
Feb 2014
9:11pm, 9 Feb 2014
901 posts
  •  
Lorraine
And I don't think any of us can answer that - although I am already looking forward to next years blogs about the enigma quad ;-)

About This Thread

Maintained by RevBarbaraG
... and could tell me how quickly it is safe for me to try to rejoin my marathon training plan. I k...