I wish someone had a crystal ball....

7 watchers
Feb 2014
2:31pm, 8 Feb 2014
1,492 posts
  •  
RevBarbaraG
... and could tell me how quickly it is safe for me to try to rejoin my marathon training plan. I know I shouldn't try to make up for lost time, or jump straight back in. And I'm not going to do so.

One rule of thumb is that each day off running means two days before you get back to pre-injury levels. Two weeks off... four weeks till I get back to running over 13 miles. Early March... and only a few weeks till it's time to start tapering. Do I go 13-16-18 and call it a day? I was originally planning 2x 20 mile runs before London. Not going to happen now.

I am resigned/committed to doing a LOT of crosstraining, including intervals (which I daren't even think of doing now with my running). So I should be fine to complete the distance, which is all I want to do. But that's not the same as the knowledge of actually having run the training, now is it?

Please excuse my pointless existential angst.

I know no-one can answer these questions for me. I'm going to have to decide how much to run.
Feb 2014
2:47pm, 8 Feb 2014
1,260 posts
  •  
Tarahumara
I think I would defer... I know you don't want to, but really, I think I would. You may end up either not finishing or worse, being so injured doing it (undertrained) that you are out for months - honestly Barbara, it's not worth that
Feb 2014
2:51pm, 8 Feb 2014
1,494 posts
  •  
RevBarbaraG
Can't defer a charity place. I either run, or I don't.
Feb 2014
2:55pm, 8 Feb 2014
4,060 posts
  •  
Jon_T
I would agree with ^^, its your first marathon and you want it to be a positive experience, even when it goes well its bloomin hard, when under prepared and worrying about an injury it will make the day a bad one and such a negative that you will have doubts about continuing your running. You've done so well up to now, don't blow it for one day out, regroup, get fit and go for it again next year.

I hope that helps.
TT
Feb 2014
3:09pm, 8 Feb 2014
1,398 posts
  •  
TT
:-( Really feel for you. Tough call.
Feb 2014
3:24pm, 8 Feb 2014
501 posts
  •  
Muddie
Could you enter an autumn marathon and 'transfer' the charity donations to that one? I'm sure the donators? donatees? . . . . the people donating wouldn't mind given the circumstances and after all, you'd still be running a marathon. It'd give you more time to recover.
Feb 2014
3:25pm, 8 Feb 2014
2,811 posts
  •  
Rosehip
If you haven't been hammering ot 20 mile long runs then I don't believe you need the full three week taper - so that gies you another week.
So, stick to run-walk.

Ignore the mileage.

Increase time on feet by the rule of 10% -until you get to 13 miles.
do a long walk each week as well if you can.

Reasses how long it's taken, how you're feeling etc if you do the 13 wk ending 2nd march then

15-17-19 -12 -6 would be the run in i'd do

No intervals, no fast stuff at all. Take care on the hills
Feb 2014
3:27pm, 8 Feb 2014
502 posts
  •  
Muddie
PS If I had a crystal ball I'd give a definite answer. And get the jackpot winning lottery numbers, the winnings from which I'd give you a generous donation :-)
Feb 2014
3:28pm, 8 Feb 2014
2,812 posts
  •  
Rosehip
pressed submit too soon:

IF you get through the next 4 weeks then you might well be OK - especially s yuve kept up aerobic cross training.

I do think the others are right for the sake of enjoying it and staying a runner- do an autumn one instead - talk to your charity and see what they say - they'll find another runner at short notice if they are allowed to. But I know how you feel and would probably ignore all the sensible people if it was me
Feb 2014
4:34pm, 8 Feb 2014
1,499 posts
  •  
RevBarbaraG
Thanks for the offer of a donation, Muddie ;-) And thank you, all of you, for responding - including those of you who think I should withdraw, which we all know I don't want to do.

If I'd got injured 3 weeks before, then no question, I would withdraw. Or if we got to a month before and I hadn't been any further than 13 miles, I would probably withdraw. And if I were trying to beat a time, which required me to do high mileage and/or speed work, I would withdraw and come back another day.

But it's not 3 weeks before, and I'm not trying to beat a time, and I do believe I have time to build up safely to considerably further than 13 miles. RH's suggestion sounds good. It will be RWR, all the way - I'm happy with that. It will be slow - I'm happy with that. What I don't want to do is push too hard so that the injury recurs, or not push at all, so that I am less prepared than I could be.

About This Thread

Maintained by RevBarbaraG
... and could tell me how quickly it is safe for me to try to rejoin my marathon training plan. I k...