Hypothetical marathon training question....

2 watchers
Feb 2012
10:30am, 27 Feb 2012
96 posts
  •  
Mrsbridgewater
If I were to enter a marathon in October (for which I may or may not already have a place!) should I follow a beginners or an intermediate training programme?

I've run half marathons before (finish in around 1hr 51mins) but nothing longer, so while I am not a beginner runner I am a beginner at marathons.

My main aim for this year is to keep my training at a level where, if I was told there was a 10mile or half marathon tomorrow I would be able to run it, the marathon is sort of in the diary, but I haven't really committed to it.
Feb 2012
10:34am, 27 Feb 2012
1,084 posts
  •  
ultracollie
intermediate def,

you can already sustain constant running for 1:51 which is a very respectible time.
so def not a beginner,
get some good base training in and build up over 16 weeks or so with a target half around 8 weeks out.
which Mara are we hypothisising about ;-)
Feb 2012
10:37am, 27 Feb 2012
97 posts
  •  
Mrsbridgewater
A flat one, which has excellent Fetch support - or so I am led to believe! But 26.2 miles is a heck of a long way. Seriously - why would I run it when I can get a bus? I think I stand a better chance of doing an October mara as I can use my (excessively long!) summer holiday to get some serious training runs in. I worry though, as I have some halfs already booked that I still want to do - and they are around the same time.
Ted
Feb 2012
10:47am, 27 Feb 2012
10,893 posts
  •  
Ted
Intermediate. Your mileage recorded is reasonable although you don't have much of a training history on here. When was your 1/2? Recent or some time back?
Feb 2012
11:24am, 27 Feb 2012
98 posts
  •  
Mrsbridgewater
October was my last half race, done a few of ten mile races since then (most recent on 11/2/12) , am on track for 1000 miles this year. I only joined Fetch mid January - so I guess it will take a while for the training record to build.
Feb 2012
11:28am, 27 Feb 2012
11,141 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Dammit, I forgot to enter Abingdon, and now I'm too late!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Mrsbridgewater
If I were to enter a marathon in October (for which I may or may not already have a place!) should I...

The Doctor K Cup

This year sees the fifth edition of our annual challenge in memory of the Fetchies who have sadly passed away. It's named after Doctor K, who died of pancreatic cancer in 2017

Are you doing the right training?

See typical mileage, pace and long run stats for every distance and goal. See a comparison with your own training.

Heart Rate Analysis

See your heart rate training data from the last 12 months broken down in technicolour.

Flat as a pancake?

We've collected thousands of your reviews from events, and worked out which races give you the best chance of a fast time!

X

Free training & racing tools for runners, cyclists, swimmers & walkers.

Fetcheveryone lets you analyse your training, find races, plot routes, chat in our forum, get advice, play games - and more! Nothing is behind a paywall, and it'll stay that way thanks to our awesome community!
Get Started
Click here to join 109,105 Fetchies!
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here