Hypoglycemia?

4 watchers
Jan 2014
6:52pm, 7 Jan 2014
15 posts
  •  
idle_wilder
I'm trying to walk to/from work as often as possible, to help with the fitness & weight loss (about 5 miles total), but I've been finding about half way home I end up feeling weak, shaky and break out in a cold sweat. Also sometimes get this on a run if I don't have a drink/sweets with me.

I've tried having a snack before I leave work (such as a banana or snack bar), and even ate tea before my run last night, but am still getting this.

Quick Google suggests hypoglycaemia - has anyone else experienced this, or have any advice?
Jan 2014
7:01pm, 7 Jan 2014
5,996 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I've had this sometimes - especially if I've had something sugary too close before a run/physical exercise. If it's the same as what I've had (sounds similar)

It could be to do with the way the body produces insulin after eating, during the digestion process - essentially if I remember correctly, you get a bit of a "crash" quite soon after eating because your body detects that you've eaten something and stops producing gylcogen (someone correct me here if I remember wrongly). If you try and do vigorous exercise, then you basically crash and get the symptoms you've been eating.

Someone will come along and tell me I'm talking bollocks in a minute... It's entirely possible I'm misremembering how the digestive system works.
Jan 2014
7:02pm, 7 Jan 2014
28,651 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I often get this on the second exercise session of the day if that session is running (it never seems to happen on the bike). As you say, it is exactly like hypoglycaemia, but seems to happen no matter what I've had to eat and drink.

I assume it has something to do with the transport of glucose into brain cells, and I suspect it's mostly harmless, though unpleasant.

If I slow down, I can usually run through it. It comes on before two miles and will be gone by the time I've done three miles. If I'm doing high mileage, I seem to adapt and it doesn't happen.
Jan 2014
7:24pm, 7 Jan 2014
7,514 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
I get this if I haven't eaten shortly before a session. I try and carry sweet snacks with me on every run longer than a few miles to stop me from feeling faint, and to stop me from embarrassing myself by losing focus and going all wobbly in front of other people. (I've actually fainted after a half during which I had only eaten a handful of jelly beans, though had eaten beforehand.)

That said, I have no idea how the digestive system works or what exactly causes it - just that sugar seems to help...
Jan 2014
7:29pm, 7 Jan 2014
28,652 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I've come over all woowoo-headed and sweaty even with a Shot Blok in my mouth. But I'm pretty sure that what and when I've eaten is irrelevant and it's all about biochemistry and homeostasis and that shizzle.
Jan 2014
8:21pm, 7 Jan 2014
50,218 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
I get this 90 mins into a marathon, earlier if ive not had anything at all to eat
I have put it down to a fuel switch from glycogen to fat
it passes, though will get better with some sugar

maybe you should look at the snack you are eating before, slow release carb rather than cereal bar(Im thinking insulin spike with the sugar folllowed by a bit of a low(er) sugar-Im not going to say hypoglycaemia unless you have one of those weirdo rare familial hyper kaelaemic doodahs)
But, you get it if WALKING?

thats odd
are you a regular runner, or are you just not so used to exercise?
Jan 2014
8:49pm, 7 Jan 2014
1,232 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
Hipps, the walking doesn't surprise me. I've suffered similar effects to the op describes plus dizziness but only when the effort level is very low. In the past I've felt very lightheaded within a few km of starting a very easy paced run or walk. The fitter I've got, the more I seem to have experienced this. It's never happened with harder efforts.

I think I identified the cause as not having taken on enough fats in the preceeding few hours.
Jan 2014
9:08pm, 7 Jan 2014
50,220 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
MM.*a few km* um, thats a bit longer than a 2.5 mile walk in total
When I get this, i walk and then im fine
Jan 2014
9:10pm, 7 Jan 2014
16 posts
  •  
idle_wilder
It's something I'll mention to doctor when I get an appointment for other stuff, but doesn't seem to matter what I've eaten, or how long it's been since I ate. Just a bit of a worry given the mileage I'll be aiming to do this year - doesn't happen too often when running, but certainly wouldn't want to feel it on a long run.

Yep, plodding hippo, walking! I am pretty running fit already, and a fast walker (probably walk faster than I run most of the time...) - fine on way to work, but the walk home is all uphill, still a v steady pace.

I'm going to try doing my easy runs on way to work, rather than after I get home, as just end up feeling weak and hungry all evening!!
Jan 2014
9:21pm, 7 Jan 2014
50,221 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Are you dieting?
Might be helpful if you posted a food diary on here
I stalked you :)
You,ve not posted any training but i see you have done a few races, how did those go

About This Thread

Maintained by idle_wilder
I'm trying to walk to/from work as often as possible, to help with the fitness & weight loss (about...