Hydration: waistpack or backpack?

1 lurker | 7 watchers
Dec 2014
1:49pm, 5 Dec 2014
17 posts
  •  
hookyspelooky
This year I stumbled through marathon training without carrying any hydration which was not the brightest of ideas. This time I plan on being more sensible generally and one thing to get me started would be carrying hydration.

I currently wear a phone belt and when I did VLM this turned into a bumbag. I've never worn a backpack for running so I'm considering a hydration waistpack instead.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they a good idea or a bad idea? Any advice or tips would be gratefully received.

Thank you.
Dec 2014
2:29pm, 5 Dec 2014
116 posts
  •  
pedro
Hydration waist pack bad idea from my experience. Too much pressure, bounce and movement on hips. I've got a cheap decathlon 5 litre hydration bladder back pack which I think is great. I still wear a small bumbag for fell race kit but wouldn't use it for hydration.
Dec 2014
2:32pm, 5 Dec 2014
7,316 posts
  •  
Q Mac
There's a very good reason the Army now carry water in camelbacks - the whole of idea of waist oriented carrying (as in the old days water bottles, magazine etc) are gone. Quite a bit of research went into the design and now we carry water on the back and other items on chest, basically the body's built for maximum ease of carrying that way.
Dec 2014
2:43pm, 5 Dec 2014
3,615 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
If you want a hydration waistpack I will happily sell you my Camelbak version, hardly used :-)

I've got loads of running packs/bumbags and have tested them to death in various situation, basically Q Mac is spot on the button. My only caveat to this is that the Inov8 packs with waistbladders are quite effective, but a total pain in the arse to refill/clean. Also, the modern vests (Ultimate Direction, Salomon etc) are excellent once you get used to the idea of carrying your bottles or softflasks up in front of you. I prefer this to a bladder and can in fact recommend the UD packs, fantastic bits of kit.
Dec 2014
4:01pm, 5 Dec 2014
1,143 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
I think it depends how much fluid you want to carry.

If you just want 500ml, then one of the waist belts that a bottle slips into at an angle ( like what was behind one of the Fetch Advent doors ) is excellent, or you can get ones with 2 * 250ml bottles to even up the weight distribution.

If you need more than 500ml, for LSRs especially in warmer weather then I'd agree that a vest with bladder or up front bottles is better.
Dec 2014
10:42am, 9 Dec 2014
18 posts
  •  
hookyspelooky
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'll make a trip to a shop and give some backpacks and vests a try out then. Who am I to argue with the army!?

So, Northern Exile, that's kind, but no thank you. ;)
Dec 2014
11:08am, 9 Dec 2014
3,621 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
No problem. I will eventually get round to selling it on eBay (along with a whole load of other stuff!)
Dec 2014
11:28am, 9 Dec 2014
23,429 posts
  •  
Merry Christmas & HappyNewG(rrr)
Has anyone mentioned "front packs"?! i.e. the ultra race vests, where the bottles are carried on the front, for easier access?

Bottles better than bladder, in many cases:

In a race: quicker to refill, can have water in one, electrolyte drink or energy drink in other (if two), can see how much you have consumed (important to know not under or over hydrated or just carrying too little or too much).
On trail: can fill up from streams more easily.

I have all 3 - I like the waist pack (with bladder - Inov8 Race Pro 4?) for short days out. I like the Deuter Speedlite 10 with bladder for long days out (can carry loads!). But I use a Ultimate Direction PB race vest for races - 2 bottles on front and zip pockets for snacks all easily accessible and adequate space on back for emergency kit.

Enjoy! :-) G
Dec 2014
12:17pm, 9 Dec 2014
3,622 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Er yes, I think we did mention those. Just a couple of posts up [points] :-)
Dec 2014
10:24am, 11 Dec 2014
1,763 posts
  •  
Molesy
I bought the Salomon Skin Pro 3 last year. Great little pack that sits high on the back.

I find that the more rucsack like ones, unless they've been done up quite snugly, have tended to cause my shirt to ride up and rubbed quite badly on the lower spine at the top of my shorts.

About This Thread

Maintained by hookyspelooky
This year I stumbled through marathon training without carrying any hydration which was not the brig...