Hydration: waistpack or backpack?

7 watchers
Aug 2015
12:09am, 5 Aug 2015
1,425 posts
  •  
jacdaw
I used an Ultraspire handheld (isomeric race, I think) and a waist pack (a big Terra Nova Laser) at the Devil on Saturday, instead of my usual Salomon race vest with front bottles. It worked quite well, but I wasn't carrying much kit, and I don't drink much! I found it more comfortable than a waist pack with a water bottle in, they give me lower back pain on long runs. The handheld might encourage me to drink a bit more too, because it is there (not that I think I need to, but this is the source of debate).

I definitely get less abrasion with the vest than I got with more conventional rucksacks, but vests are warm, and they seen to cause a bit of discomfort just below my rib cage - this may mean I bought a size too big!

Bladders are a complete pain in the arse, and make a horrible sloshing noise!
Aug 2015
3:55pm, 5 Aug 2015
3,673 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
Another vote for the Ultimate racing vest. Can't rate mine highly enough. It does take a bit of getting used to hearing the drink sloshoing around at the front but mine has been comfy since the first wearing of it and it holds a surprising amount of kit for a small race vest. I find it way better than a small rug sack. It doesn't move around at all and you hardly notice you're wearing it. A bit pricey but worth every penny IMO. this is the one I usehttp://www.wiggle.co.uk/ultimate-direction-womens-ultra-vesta/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360651969&ci_src=18615224&ci_sku=5360651969uk&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign&utm_medium&utm_content=s_dc%7cpcrid%7c67090793342%7cpkw%7c%7cpmt%7c%7cprd%7c5360651969uk
Aug 2015
3:56pm, 5 Aug 2015
3,674 posts
  •  
Jovi Runner
oops - here it is wiggle.co.uk
Aug 2015
3:46pm, 30 Aug 2015
309 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Bumping this as I'm fed up with the the cheap Karrimor belt with single 500ml bottle that I bought. Damn thing gradually rotates around my waist as I run so time to invest in something more comfortable.

Are there any other recommendations from runners with boobs?
Sep 2015
1:12pm, 3 Sep 2015
16,053 posts
  •  
flanker
Having just come back from holiday with an extra 13lbs I think I now meet the selection criteria.

I'd recommend checking out the Ultimate Direction range. Not cheap, but IMO really well thought out designs.

likeys.com
Sep 2015
7:51pm, 3 Sep 2015
744 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Worth a look - Mountain Hardware Fluid Vest - http://www.gearforgirls.co.uk/mountain-hardwear-fluid-race-vest-unisex-steam/?gclid=CM-0hPjD28cCFdQaGwodF2gJzg. Served me brilliantly for Lakeland50, it's small but very stretchy and cheap as chips :)
Sep 2015
8:31pm, 3 Sep 2015
1,786 posts
  •  
mr d
The Ultimate Direction Body Bottle is excellent, if not cheap. I haven't got massive hands and I can hold it easily in the palm with the nozzle between my fingers.

It has an excellent bite valve and when you have drained it collapses to almost nothing and easily slips in a pocket.

You could stack them up in a waist pack. The only drawback is that the longer you hold them the warmer the liquid gets, but that is the same with bladders in some hydration packs. Might be handy to have your drink warmed up a bit in winter.

ultimatedirection.com

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by hookyspelooky
This year I stumbled through marathon training without carrying any hydration which was not the brig...