Hydration or energy?

2 watchers
Feb 2014
1:10pm, 23 Feb 2014
23 posts
  •  
Aimless Alliterations
Headed off for my usual weekend long run first thing yesterday. Planned to do 16km.

I usually go out for a morning run without bothering to take a drink or have anything to eat and that's never caused me a problem.

The first 10 or 11km went fine. I was taking things at an easy pace but then felt that I needed to pee. As I was on a quiet country lane that wasn't a problem as I just nipped over a field gate and went behind a hedge. Didn't produce much pee (perhaps not surprisingly) and had a bit of discomfort in the bladder area. Hmmmm.....not pleasant.

Headed off again and my legs were just refusing to work. I stuck it out for another couple of kilometres but was making painfully slow progress so I walked the last bit home.

Am I giving myself problems if I'm not eating or drinking before going out or do you think this was just one of those runs where the body just doesn't want to play ball? The reason I'm a bit puzzled is because of the "pee episode". Is it connected do you think?
Feb 2014
1:18pm, 23 Feb 2014
8,330 posts
  •  
Dvorak
If you are recording all your training, I would suggest that you are just trying to run too far. As for the pee, what colour was it? If it was orange or darker, you were dehydrated. There are variuos "colour-charts" for urine, here is one (though not the one I was looking for) health.clevelandclinic.org
Feb 2014
1:32pm, 23 Feb 2014
24 posts
  •  
Aimless Alliterations
Dvorak - I've been running that sort of distance at the weekend for the last couple of months. Never had problems before. Yes I'm sure I was needing a drink. Maybe I'm reading too much into this.
Feb 2014
1:46pm, 23 Feb 2014
14,849 posts
  •  
*jono*
Hi Aimless I'd have a think about what Dvorak has said, dehydration tends to catch up with you. If you've had a week were you fluid intake wasn't what it was then taking a drink with you won't hurt.

Also a few sports beans or whatever to nibble on - you don't have to go out looking like your going to climb the North face of the Eiger, its just down to understanding the body a bit better - but its no biggy even the most experienced runners get caught out.
Feb 2014
2:56pm, 23 Feb 2014
29,005 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Sounds as if it was just a random bad run. The reason may become apparent over the next day or two, or it may not.
Feb 2014
3:20pm, 23 Feb 2014
7,719 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
my guess it was not dehydration, considering how cool and damp the weather is.
Feb 2014
3:33pm, 23 Feb 2014
6,381 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I need less drink at this time of year. 21 miles today with a pint if water before then lots after but nothing on the run. In the summer I would not be able to do that.

Might just be a bad run. We all have them
Feb 2014
3:37pm, 23 Feb 2014
3,321 posts
  •  
Magpie Rob
I can't see you dehydrating after 6-7 miles unless you were ridiculously overdressed and drenched in sweat. Like the others said, it was a bad run. Don't worry.
Feb 2014
3:52pm, 23 Feb 2014
25 posts
  •  
Aimless Alliterations
Thanks for the replies. I'll put it down to experience I think.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Mountkeen
Headed off for my usual weekend long run first thing yesterday. Planned to do 16km.

I usually go...