Huddersfield marathon

5 watchers
Apr 2014
10:12pm, 27 Apr 2014
5,554 posts
  •  
becca7
Good to see you XB. I didn't get a tshirt (not that I have any room in the drawer where I keep them for any more) but I am not sure if they had to be paid for separately and I would not have ordered one. Good luck for Windermere - should be a breeze after this one!
Apr 2014
10:57pm, 27 Apr 2014
1,004 posts
  •  
Craig_
I'm glad this event went reasonably well - it has a lot of potential as a series with some fantastic scenery. :)
Apr 2014
11:14pm, 27 Apr 2014
50,566 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Marshalls were top banana

some serious organisational and communication issues which I hope they will sort
Apr 2014
11:42pm, 27 Apr 2014
29,042 posts
  •  
swittle
What were they, hipps? ^
Apr 2014
12:18am, 28 Apr 2014
11,378 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Hmm - just looked at the Wakefield details - except it's not in Wakefield, its at Nostell Priory which is just as close to Pontefract or Barnsley.
Apr 2014
12:29am, 28 Apr 2014
51 posts
  •  
Hudds_James
I will make sure the organisers see any comments on here and that improvements are made where possible as they really want people to have a brilliant day. It was the first Huddersfield Marathon in years so good to see it back on the calendar and hopefully any of the problems won't stop you returning next year.

Well done everyone that took part :)
Apr 2014
5:06am, 28 Apr 2014
50,568 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Hudds James-I have been in contact with the organisers already
My main issue really was the lack of communication
I actually had to phone up to ask in the marathon was on a few weeks ago

Tre were on the day some probs with the front runners going the wrong way, (Obv not my problem)

Lots of promises about stuff that was going to be available and wasnt-though I gather there was an isue with their PR person who left under something of a cloud

But yes, its good to se any new marathon back up North
Apr 2014
11:25am, 28 Apr 2014
5,555 posts
  •  
becca7
I had another communication issue. I entered this race in October and the only acknowledgement that I got was from PayPal con firming that funds had been sent. At this time the race was to be on Saturday 26th and I wanted to do it as a double with Shakespeare Mara, for Comrades training. I only found out that the race had been moved to the Sunday by noticing that the listing in the Fetch race diary had changed. I had to email to confirm both that the organisers had kept a record of my entry and that the date was now the 27th. The response I got was a rather curt "yes and yes". Thankfully I had made no arrangements yet regarding, travel, accommodation or the other race.

Directions as to how to get to the venue were not good. Google maps identified the postcode as being in a housing estate. The directions on the website of the YMCA playing field were however very good, so I used those.

I have to say, in spite of the niggles, that I loved the race route. Very pretty. The Marshalls were superb and it was great that so many spectators around the course supported the race. It is a bit out of my way so I am not sure I will run it again any time soon but I hope they sort out the communication issues and give the runners a bit better value for money.
Apr 2014
12:10pm, 28 Apr 2014
50,570 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Agree Becca, thats a good synopsis.
Yes, the postcode given was completely wrong.
My OH had to redirect the lead runner at about 12.5 miles as well
He was on the course taking photos, will post a link when Im home again

I thought the route was extremely pretty but found this a fairly pricey marathon for a low key event like this

I suspect that when first launched, it was all going to be much bigger

The marshalls were first rate though, esp that lady with a bicycle around 11 miles and 24 miles who tinged her beel and waved at all the runners all day long.She was a star!!
Apr 2014
12:11pm, 28 Apr 2014
50,571 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
ascent over 3000 ft BTW

thats 1000 more than Gt Langdale and almost on a par with Beachy

Surely the toughest road marathon in the UK??

About This Thread

Maintained by plodding hippo
part of a series of three OOp North

Who is in?