https access to the site

1 watcher
Jun 2017
12:44pm, 6 Jun 2017
18,412 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Recently, browsers have started to negatively highlight sites that use 'HTTP' (you know, that bit at the start of web addresses) rather than 'HTTPS' to deliver web pages. They usually do this by either showing:

1) some sort of exclamation (some or all of the content you're looking at is served via ordinary HTTP), or
2) some sort of padlock symbol (the content you're looking at is all served over HTTPS).

As of today, there's a HTTPS version of Fetcheveryone - you can find it here:

fetcheveryone.com

It should absolutely no different to use, but it means that any data you send to the Fetch server is encrypted by your browser before it's sent - so it avoids the possibility of a third-party with sufficient technical know-how from snooping on your data. I should say, that in 12 years of running Fetch over HTTP, there's absolutely no evidence that this has ever happened.

It's my plan to push all of the visitors on the site onto HTTPS automatically, but before I do that, I thought it'd be useful to give you the chance to kick the tyres.

Things I am interested in
Can you log in and out ok?
Are there any broken links or images that won't load, or functionality that won't work?
Does your browser show a secure icon next to the URL?

What I'm not interested in (in this case)
Suggestions for improvements to the site :-P
Errors that happen irrespective of whether you're on HTTP or HTTPS

It's possible that a few pages will still show up as 'insecure'. For example, if you click the 'Routes' tab in the menu, that page is classed as insecure at present. In this particular instance, the little thumbnail map at the top right of the big image is a hard-coded http request - and just one little thing like that is enough to remove the 'secure' status.

Sorry for a technical post. All I'm really asking is that you try the link I've posted above, and see whether things seem vaguely normal (or as normal as they were before). Thanks for reading. Peace out.
Jun 2017
12:48pm, 6 Jun 2017
28,519 posts
  •  
Old Croc
Had an issue earlier with access

tried that link and seems to be okay
Jun 2017
12:57pm, 6 Jun 2017
6,317 posts
  •  
Jambomo
Does the browsers encryption store the data i n the US? I don't want Trump seeing how much running I don't do ;)
Jun 2017
12:58pm, 6 Jun 2017
18,413 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
It sounds like he wouldn't approve:
edition.cnn.com

(but no, your data isn't sent to America)
Jun 2017
1:00pm, 6 Jun 2017
2,127 posts
  •  
larkim
Log in and out OK. But route image on a training log page doesn't display and nor does the pace graph.

I'm OK with Trump seeing what he wants. I'd rather he looked at my HR trace than did anything more serious, tbh!
Jun 2017
1:06pm, 6 Jun 2017
18,414 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Larkim - that should be mended now, ta.
Jun 2017
1:06pm, 6 Jun 2017
6,318 posts
  •  
Jambomo
Thats ok then :). I'm sure he'd have me on some kind of watch list.

So to your actual questions :)
1) I can log in and out no problem.
2) I can navigate around fine and all links and images are working/displaying ok.
3) I have a greyed out padlock with a line through it on all pages (inc home page). It says that "This web site does not supply identity information".

I hope this is helpful :)
Jun 2017
1:07pm, 6 Jun 2017
18,415 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Ooh. What browser are you using, Jammers?
Jun 2017
1:07pm, 6 Jun 2017
13,704 posts
  •  
Dvorak
As with larkim. If I am on somebody's home page, no padlock is shown, but the url is shown as https. If I then click on their training page, the same. If I then click on a specific training item (one I know I have seen the details for) then the padlock appears but no ... oh, you've fixed it :-).
Jun 2017
1:08pm, 6 Jun 2017
4,887 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
All seems ok here :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Recently, browsers have started to negatively highlight sites that use 'HTTP' (you know, t...