HRM - how to test if it is working correctly

1 watcher
Jun 2013
9:46pm, 24 Jun 2013
6,529 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I have a Garmin 305 which is keen on telling me lately that my HRM is too low yet I definitely feel like I'm trying pretty hard.

Tonight while running up / down a little hilly section on the fells I was feeling out of breath yet my avg HR was only 136 and it was telling me off for having too low a HR.

Not sure what is up I know I'm struggling breathing even on reasonably mild exercise but various tests with GP have said nothing is wrong so he suspects maybe hayfever/allergy of sorts but not sure yet - would this be enough to cause me to feel like I'm working hard while my HR is low or is my trusty ole Garmin on its last legs?

Its a bit soul destroying to feel like I'm putting in a good effort to be told to get off my butt and move.

thanks in advance
Jun 2013
9:50pm, 24 Jun 2013
16,454 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Yes.

I once properly bonked with a HRM on. I felt like i was running through treacle, I was trying as hard as I could, but when I looked at the numbers later my HR was well down on my normal levels.
Jun 2013
10:51pm, 24 Jun 2013
6,530 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Was it one of those days Johnny or was garmin poorly?
Jun 2013
7:47am, 25 Jun 2013
16,457 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
It was definitely me.

If your Garmin was reading 250bpm, or 10bpm, or something way out, then I would say it was that, but it sounds like your hsyfever (or whatever it turns out to be) is slowing you down and making you lethargic, but without pushing your heart rate up.

Somebody will be along to aggressively disagree in a minute though.
Jun 2013
8:50am, 25 Jun 2013
8,947 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
We easily forget - or at least I do - it's possible to count our own HR to check the machine using watch and fingers, or if we're squeamish or utterly out of breath, anyone else can do it.
Jun 2013
12:05am, 29 Jun 2013
6,532 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Sorry I've been missing and only just remembered I hadn't checked in for a while. Thanks for your replies maybe its one if those things I'll get a new battery as I don't actually remember ever changing it in 6 yrs :-/

I guess it's good that I have a heart rate however random it is ;)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by geordiegirl
I have a Garmin 305 which is keen on telling me lately that my HRM is too low yet I definitely feel ...