•  
Oranj
Yep, technique is the thing.
Nov 2021
1:30pm, 12 Nov 2021
8,161 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
I also think you need to develop swim muscle, it's something you lose quickly if you don't swim regularly. I have been working on my catch and it's beginning to feel like I'm getting hold of the water again, I'm still slow as slow poop though. I only venture into the fast lane at the moment when I know it's safe to do so, this morning there were a couple of kids in there just flying up and down and it would have been embarrassing.
Nov 2021
1:44pm, 12 Nov 2021
2,879 posts
  •  
Oranj
I know what you mean. Before I swam regularly I would never find swimming much of an aerobic workout but now I've developed that specific strength I can challenge myself more.
Nov 2021
10:53pm, 12 Nov 2021
32,807 posts
  •  
Sushi.
I’ve just returned to coached sessions after OW swimming all summer.

Have picked up a few bad habits, mainly over rotating to breathe and dropping arm too low in the water.

Hopefully won’t take long to put right.

Like you Oranj I can’t do much distance OW now, 750m about my limit now it’s in single figures.
Nov 2021
10:09pm, 13 Nov 2021
15 posts
  •  
Stig-OT-Dump
I've been watching GTN videos on swim technique this week and today did my sets at fastest pace/ splits for ages.
Looking to sign up to adult lessons too.
Mind you, downside this evening is that my arms feel like they've been bolted on incorrectly - that's a good sign right??
Nov 2021
4:16pm, 25 Nov 2021
2,892 posts
  •  
Oranj
Maybe ;-)

I managed to book a session this afternoon in the little pool that's slightly further away. It seems to have more spaces now - I think everyone panicked to book it when the main pool closed.

It is small though, and shallow. Compared to a deeper competition pool there's a real sensation of speed as you paddle into the shallow end and the bottom comes up to meet your outstretched hand. I don't think I'll be practising my flip turns at that end!
Nov 2021
4:30pm, 25 Nov 2021
8,218 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
It's like that at the Nidderdale pool, it's only 20m and very shallow. I'm not particularly tall but you can easily scrape the bottom with your hand as you approach the shallow end. I don't go there often!
Dec 2021
1:06pm, 3 Dec 2021
16,199 posts
  •  
larkim
Sorry to barge in as a non-swimmer, but I had a moment of inspiration for my wife who gets very cold on beaches after swimming, combined with a dearth of good Christmas ideas, that a DryRobe would be a good idea for her.

Does anyone here have any experience of them? Or their alternatives? Are any of the less well known brand equivalents any good? She's a sucker for good VFM and the cynic in me thinks DryRobes are pricey because of the brand, but if they are worth the money then that's Christmas sorted :-)

Thanks in advance!!
Dec 2021
1:27pm, 3 Dec 2021
25,826 posts
  •  
Lizzie Whizzmas
Yes!
Not Charlie Mcleod Eco - it's too bulky.
Gorilla, Passenger, Moonwrap, Dryrobe...
Dec 2021
1:43pm, 3 Dec 2021
2,907 posts
  •  
Oranj
I was going to suggest selkieswim (they sometimes have a popup stall at my local lake), but they're nearly as expensive. Might be worth asking on the open water swimming thread fetcheveryone.com/forum/open-water-swimming-45444

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
L'Hotel Club de natation de Bastardos. swim

What started off as a soggy version of 'how was your run today?' is developing a life of its own...