How to score a team competition

2 watchers
Aug 2021
10:12pm, 15 Aug 2021
15,155 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I'm trying to come up with a scoring system for a team competition that is (mostly) fair for an orienteering competition.

What I need is a way to fairly come up with a scoring system that allows for runners to run different courses and to allow for clubs of different sizes.

The national club competition (the compasssport cup) has solved this problem in the following way:
- 2 compeitions - one for "big" clubs and one for "small" clubs that are run concurrently at the same event
- Scores are calculated on the runners finishing position on the particular course
- The top 25 (or 12 for the smaller clubs) scores across all your runners on the various courses count (so the scoring is quite dynamic with lots of possible competitions)

For the competition I want to have a scoring system for that won't work. For one, we only have 6 clubs - 3 big and 3 small. And for two, I want to try and reward clubs for getting as big a turnout as possible (the CSC really only rewards having a certain number of fast runners - if you don't score for the team, it's pretty pointless you being there), but without penalising the smaller clubs.

I'd quite like it to be as inclusive as possible.

I thought about just taking the Sum of the median scores across the the various courses, but not sure that will work. Taking the median would mean that it effectively normalise for large and small clubs, but would penalise clubs encouraging getting as many runners out as possible.

Anyone have any ideas that might work.

I'm aware that any system I come up with can obviously be gamed.
Aug 2021
9:15am, 16 Aug 2021
132 posts
  •  
JenHB
don't quite sure how it would work but could there be a scoring system based on position but a separate bonus or multiplier linked to the % turnout for each club?
Aug 2021
9:42am, 16 Aug 2021
15,240 posts
  •  
larkim
Would some sort of "penalty" score for under-turn out and a team number divisor which allows for teams bigger than a set threshold work?

e.g. docs.google.com
Aug 2021
9:45am, 16 Aug 2021
15,241 posts
  •  
larkim
(Just had a play with my spreadsheet, not sure it entirely works for fairness but there might be some mileage in the principles. Maybe the penalties for small teams needs increasing)
Aug 2021
1:11pm, 16 Aug 2021
15,164 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Not sure about penalties.

I'll have a look at the spreadsheet when I'm on a computer rather than a phone.

The issue is that there are 6 clubs - the bigger clubs might get maybe 50-60 running (on a good day) and the smaller clubs 20-30.

But all with different number of runners.

What I'm not keen to do is say that you *must* get X people or X % running.

This is because the event changes location and date every year and that will change turnout.
Aug 2021
1:24pm, 16 Aug 2021
15,165 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Larkim - had a look at your spreadsheet quickly now - that *might* work, but it's basically the same as a XC race.

And specifying that you need a minimum of X runners would work but for the fact that it's not a single course - there are about 6 courses.

You could specify say 5 counting runners per course, but that would cause complaints with the smaller clubs as it basically means turning out every single one of their runners, but for the bigger clubs that wouldn't be an issue.

You could drop this to say 3 runners per course, but then this doesn't encourage the slower runners who never would score.

The other solution would be to say that your score is a % of the winners time (i.e. if the winner takes 100mins and the 2nd place takes 104mins, their score is 96.1), then simply add up the ~15 best scores.

There are issues that that discounts the slower runners too.
Aug 2021
1:25pm, 16 Aug 2021
15,166 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
The only other thing I can think that *might* work is the following:

((Sum of all runners scores)/(number of runners competing))*turnout

Where turnout = number of runners competing/size of club.
Aug 2021
1:26pm, 16 Aug 2021
14,457 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
The way our six-club summer 5k league works is that for each event, you add up the finishing positions of your top 10 runners, then subtract one point for each finisher. The club with the lowest points score is first, the next lowest is second, and so on. It does, of course, still favour the bigger clubs.
Aug 2021
1:27pm, 16 Aug 2021
14,458 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
[And your latter formula where average time is multiplied by turnout was exactly what was done for some virtual inter-club challenges during lockdown.]
Aug 2021
1:31pm, 16 Aug 2021
15,167 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Cerra - I like that - just add up the 10 or whatever best scores and then have some kind of bonus for number of runners

That could be normalised for club size perhaps.

I want to avoid the points based solely on positions for 2 reasons; 1. The fact that orienteering is a time trial formats so without the head to head racing I always think the posioks thing is

About This Thread

Maintained by rf_fozzy
I'm trying to come up with a scoring system for a team competition that is (mostly) fair for an...