How to pace track races? (1500m in this case)

3 watchers
Mar 2012
9:56am, 9 Mar 2012
3,991 posts
  •  
Lyra OK
Got my first track race planned for next month - 1500m.

Slightly nervous, because it'll be my first proper race on the track and I've really not a clue how to pace it. I'm figuring just go out hard, keep going and then run like my life depends on it.

I know there are a few track experts out there (Sharkie, that's you!), so if anyone's got any tips on how to run this distance, it'd be awesome to get your advice.
Mar 2012
10:08am, 9 Mar 2012
244 posts
  •  
Curly45
I've done a few mile races which are sort of similar...but your best bet for advice might be Duckinator or pop your head into the "sub 2minute 800m" thread and get some advice there.

I'd say there is nothing worse in a longer track race than going out too hard and having everyone pass you in the last lap as it feels like your legs have turned to treacle. Therefore I tend to hold onto the pack that seems settled about my pace and then have a kick for the last 200m or so.

It depends on whether you are aiming to win or to pb - if you are running on your own (does happen in track races as the standards can be very mixed) then even paced laps are the best.

Moraghan always talked about a slight positive split for 800m I think, but still increasing effort.

It takes practice. Dont worry if you get it wrong the first few times...
Mar 2012
10:22am, 9 Mar 2012
3,992 posts
  •  
Lyra OK
Thanks for the great reply, Curly. :)

Hadn't thought of peeking into the 800m thread, but could have a looksee...
Mar 2012
10:58am, 9 Mar 2012
46,770 posts
  •  
Gobi
Lyra - have you any idea what time you want to run.

Usually ahead of race season we have a target time in mind. The first race of the year usually has us attempt to run that target time to see where we are at. (Never pretty but gives you a gauge for future training)

As pointed out the possibility is that you will run a positive split but as with many races(especially when time trialling the race) your best bet is to try and run even pace(with the effort level going up as you fatigue) and then with 300 metres to go just give it everything you have.
Mar 2012
11:00am, 9 Mar 2012
650 posts
  •  
Ian M
Sound advice there from Gobi Lyra. I'd be saying the same thing really. I haven't been on a track in ages though.
Mar 2012
11:13am, 9 Mar 2012
3,993 posts
  •  
Lyra OK
Cheers, Gobi. Helpful stuff.

McMillan predicts me 5:25 based on other night's 5k, so I hope I'll get that because 1500 isn't until mid-April.

When running this distance, does everyone tend to just shoot off or are people a bit more sensible and even-paced? I've really no idea what to expect.
Mar 2012
11:29am, 9 Mar 2012
133 posts
  •  
UltraPaulo
I have only done a couple of track races and they are not really my speciality at all but I tend to agree with Gobi, aim for even pacing but expect increased effort to maintain that pace. I am a fan of trying to push on early in the slightly longer races but for 1500m I would look at increasing your pace at either 300 or 500 if you can hold on. 400 just seems a bit predictable to me and it is easy to anticipate someone going on the bell if you are racing.

Don't go from your current race pace into a sprint though, wind it up a bit and go through the gears so to speak.
Mar 2012
11:29am, 9 Mar 2012
46,772 posts
  •  
Gobi
Lyra - I coach this and anyone who is coached properly will shoot off over the first 100 or so to get track postion then drop into the correct pace. When I see one of the kids I run racing I would like to see

68 on lap 1 counting for the quick start then 70 70 then whatever they have left (control in the middle segment is key)

If they go out too hard you will see this 66 70 74 ??? ( a bad day)
Mar 2012
11:38am, 9 Mar 2012
134 posts
  •  
UltraPaulo
Interesting Gobi... have said I will do a couple of track races for the club, 5000 and 3000SC (I guess they are desperate if they are asking me!) so would you advise similar for the 5000?

Sorry for hijacking a little bit Lyra... I won't do it again! :)
Mar 2012
11:42am, 9 Mar 2012
46,775 posts
  •  
Gobi
UP - you definately want even pacing in a 5km. Technically on the track that is long distance :¬)

About This Thread

Maintained by Lyra OK
Got my first track race planned for next month - 1500m.

Slightly nervous, because it'll be my fi...