How to get quicker?

8 watchers
May 2012
2:29pm, 31 May 2012
458 posts
  •  
Nelly
But if someone "only" runs four times a week then if the long run is no more than 1/4 of total weekly mileage all the runs should *in theory* be the same length! :-)
May 2012
2:29pm, 31 May 2012
2,557 posts
  •  
daviec
Training harder can include increasing volume. It's better to get that up first and then bring in the intense work on a stronger aerobic base.
May 2012
2:38pm, 31 May 2012
1,236 posts
  •  
Mark J
More miles Bob, pure and simple. I was at a constant pace for ages, I upped the weekly millage and my times are still coming down. I'm at a pace and comfortably, that i never thought possible for me. BUT: as so many have already said, up them steadily as you don't want injuries.
May 2012
2:39pm, 31 May 2012
531 posts
  •  
Curly45
Its not a hard and fast rule anyway Nelly.

I do about 30% for mine...its more so you don't run 30 miles, 3 times a week but do one run of 20 miles which can be a risky strategy in terms of injury. Like all things you have to take the rule book and apply it to your experiment of one! Sensible and in proportion is the way to take htings when increasing mileage. Coach M did a very good thread on this sort of thing on runnersworld:
runnersworld.co.uk
May 2012
3:24pm, 31 May 2012
1,971 posts
  •  
tom_craggs
Also - you say you are running with a club - dot hey have a coach? Perhaps have a word and see what they recommend for you as an individual...
May 2012
4:13pm, 31 May 2012
114 posts
  •  
Action Jen (formerly known as DPM)
reading all of this with interest....
May 2012
4:33pm, 31 May 2012
9,374 posts
  •  
paul a
Guaranteed way to run faster is significantly up your mileage (progressively) with a sensible balance of speed work, especially long intervals.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by BlastItBob
It might seem like a silly/simple question but how do I get quicker when racing?

I'm in a club a...