How to avoid sitting back when running

1 watcher
Jun 2012
9:17am, 6 Jun 2012
761 posts
  •  
Ian M
How to correct posture? Asian squats is a good start.
Jun 2012
9:20am, 6 Jun 2012
13,126 posts
  •  
hellen
what are they Ian?
Jun 2012
9:22am, 6 Jun 2012
563 posts
  •  
Curly45
Hellen I used to run "sitting in a bucket". For me the best cures were track work in spikes (its amazing how they force you to run properly and the faster turn over makes a difference to your ability to lean as well) and the core H routine three times a week.

I'd sort of got stuck there for a while (still heel striking but not sitting) until Sharkie was talking about thinking tall which is definitely helping. What I would say is, it takes time to make changes.

I have transitioned to fully flat racing shoes for all my running now and that helps a lot too.

How I used to run:
jamesmcmahonphotography.co.uk

The main aim now is to learn to do this on all surfaces and in flat shoes (i.e. not spikes):
fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net
Jun 2012
9:25am, 6 Jun 2012
762 posts
  •  
Ian M
Whimsical but nevertheless informative video here on how to do it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWTmg4dHiKg
Jun 2012
9:46am, 6 Jun 2012
13,127 posts
  •  
hellen
funny vid ian, how is it going to help though? and how long do a squat for in order for it to help

I run like that curley, or at least thats how I look on photos, more often than not one of my hips is tilting down
Jun 2012
9:51am, 6 Jun 2012
764 posts
  •  
Ian M
Try to squat like that Hellen and see how easy it feels. Most folk find it quite difficult - this is because they spend most of their time sitting in chairs. Learn to do a good squat and it will help correct your posture. Concentrate on straight down into it and straight up out of it. Squat, stay there for a few seconds, stand up. Repeat until you've had enough. Do this every day for a few minutes.
Jun 2012
9:52am, 6 Jun 2012
765 posts
  •  
Ian M
Strength, flexibility, balance and posture all in one.
Jun 2012
9:59am, 6 Jun 2012
27,214 posts
  •  
oldbiddy
Love the vid, now trying hard :)
Jun 2012
10:00am, 6 Jun 2012
767 posts
  •  
Ian M
It's self regulating. Don't force it to much and hurt yourself but just keep trying to relax down into it and you'll get there.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by hellen
For ages mr h has said he can always spot me in races as I run funny.. Then after the track race whe...