How Slow is Too Slow?

6 watchers
May 2012
2:42pm, 23 May 2012
6,327 posts
  •  
Maz Heeps
Certainly some of our bestest local ultra nutters who do the hills are pretty good on the road races too....
May 2012
2:51pm, 23 May 2012
6,930 posts
  •  
Caterpillar
Every time we have discussions like this it does become apparent that everyone is different. "Too slow" for one person is ridiculously fast for someone else. Gobo once said that he likes to take it really easy and do some of his longer runs at only 7 minutes per mile. FFS. :-)

The other thing is that it depends what else you are planning to do, or have just done. 12.5 mins/mile for 5 miles might be a serious challenge if you ran a marathon last weekend.

However, it is a good question. There must come a point where the effort in running really slowly is barely more than using the remote to change TV channel while opening a packet of crisps.

Personally, I tend not to do "really slow" at all. This isn't for any sports science reason. It's just because I don't usually have enough time to do all the running I want, so I fell compelled to get every ounce of benefit from every mile I run, or to squeeze in as many miles as possible into the time available.

Isn't it more about how slow you need (and no slower) to go to be able to run the distance you are training for at a steady speed?
May 2012
2:52pm, 23 May 2012
6,931 posts
  •  
Caterpillar
Gobo. Ha ha ha! I mean Gobi of course.
May 2012
2:54pm, 23 May 2012
12,029 posts
  •  
sheri3004
I wondered who Gobo was :)

There's also an issue about recovery and the slower you do the long runs the quicker you recover (in theory).

I feel the same though about often trying to squeeze as much as possible into the available time....
May 2012
3:12pm, 23 May 2012
6,328 posts
  •  
Maz Heeps
True Caterpillar, I think that was why Crooked Smile was quite specific about her normal race times, 10k race at the weekend, weather and so on...

The only thing that truly slows me down to comfortable pace is running alongside someone slower... otherwise I struggle to manage a set pace even when i have decided to go slow....
May 2012
3:13pm, 23 May 2012
6,329 posts
  •  
Maz Heeps
and I am by no means fast... i meant to say...

but i do want to manage my LSR pace for my mara training too... trouble is all my runchums are faster!
May 2012
3:38pm, 23 May 2012
11,955 posts
  •  
Homer
I found putting on 2 stone was quite good for slowing me down
May 2012
7:26pm, 23 May 2012
92 posts
  •  
Action Jen (formerly known as Darkp
I found this quite reassuring to be honest - I really do think that everyone has their own pace and needs to work to their level. And I say that as a person that is continually moaning that I am toooooo slow!!! I do need to work on differentiating paces, but I had that sorted by going to a club and now have knackered my ankle (just walking down the road) and havn't been back for a couple of weeks GRRRRR. But anyway - everyone is different. Maybe I need some sort of hammer on my head to get that idea through my thick skull......
May 2012
10:47am, 24 May 2012
6,932 posts
  •  
Caterpillar
Having a little rant to myself in the car on the way to work this morning I came up with a very simple philosophy. Two variables

High intensity vs low intensity
Long duration vs short duration

Low intensity + short duration is unlikely to be much help (but I've learned never to say never)

Low intensity + long duration OR high intensity + short duration
are both quite likely to be useful training, and maybe you need a mixture of both

High intensity + long duration - people seem to say that (a) this risks injury and (b) it adds very little benefit over something less painful. Not sure I agree, but there we go - all different.

So, then the question becomes what is "high" and how long is "long" and that is where you cannot set any rules. Even for the same person it changes over time. For me, I think I assume that anything at sub seven minute miles is high intensity. I can cope with 7.15 per mile for 10 miles or more, so it has to be 7. And regarding how long - a twenty minute run is barely enough to get me warmed up these days. 45 minutes is just nice. So over an hour is probably "long."

So - here's a suggested answer. "Slow" is whatever speed I can maintain constantly for more than an hour. What does everyone else think? Is an hour a long time for you? I am prepared to bet that lots of people here regard that as quite short, and plenty for who an hour is half a lifetime.
May 2012
10:53am, 24 May 2012
42,318 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Hm

an hour is long for me in training, yes

I also take 30-40 minutes to properly warm up
Doesnt stop me doing 30 minute runs though

But them I dont train

You *can* use HR as a guide(provided you have actually donr a max HR tests, and arent applying *that* erroneous formula), or , if you are really in tune with your body, you will know whats too fast

Agree totally one size does not fit all

About This Thread

Maintained by Metro_Nome
So, now that my "speed" goal race has passed, it's time to seriously commit to the marathon train...