How much harder is a trail marathon?

3 watchers
Mar 2017
2:55pm, 7 Mar 2017
8 posts
  •  
BexleyKev
Trail marathons are a day out - time to enjoy yourself and depending on the terrain a lot, lot slower. Mont Blanc almost twice the time of a standard road marathon - but they do have a lot of cheese stations! If considering an Alpine marathon you also need to factor in the effect of altitude especially if you don't go out for a few days before the event.
Mar 2017
6:36pm, 7 Mar 2017
3 posts
  •  
MonsieurDeBeurre
Some really good food for thought here, thanks everyone. The altitude aspect is something I guess it's pretty much impossible to prepare for ...
Mar 2017
6:49pm, 7 Mar 2017
27,558 posts
  •  
Night-owl
Welcome to Fetch MdB nice quest

Have no advice but wish you luck.
Mar 2017
8:34pm, 7 Mar 2017
2,303 posts
  •  
NDWDave
Navigation can be an issue. You sometimes get self navigation courses which can be trickier and slow you down looking for turns. Or even worse "bonus miles".
Mar 2017
10:02pm, 7 Mar 2017
25,420 posts
  •  
Dave.O
Not a scooby, but i've got the Snowdonia Trail marathon in July. Having never done a Marathon before i'll have nothing to compare it with either.

And welcome to Fetch & good luck in your A to Z quest :)
Mar 2017
6:11pm, 10 Mar 2017
4 posts
  •  
MonsieurDeBeurre
Sooooo undecided. Part of me thinks better to have tried and failed than never to have lined up, part of me thinks I'm stupid to even consider it. Need to jump one way or the other this weekend though, that window of opportunity is shutting fast.
Mar 2017
6:14pm, 10 Mar 2017
2,858 posts
  •  
Cyclops
Go for it, MdB! I'm forever entering daft things I'm not really trained for and I have survived.
Mar 2017
7:15pm, 10 Mar 2017
5 posts
  •  
MonsieurDeBeurre
Ha! Sound. Can't argue wi' that.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by MonsieurDeBeurre
I'm looking to run an A to Z of marathons and had registered for the Marathon Des Isles on 30 April...