How long should your longest run be for a half marathon?

7 watchers
Aug 2016
9:39am, 8 Aug 2016
34,257 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I shouldn't have looked at this thread. I've gone and bought a book :-O
Aug 2016
3:58pm, 8 Aug 2016
11,466 posts
  •  
Ultracat
I have the Pfitzinger and Latter Faster Road Racing. Has some excellent schedules in it for half marathons and they have recommended paces for different types of sessions. One good suggestion is the progressive long run.
Aug 2016
5:31pm, 10 Aug 2016
2,368 posts
  •  
Ninky Nonk
I'm surprised that the longest run in the schedule is just three weeks out from target race. I'd have thought that this would have been some weeks, say 8+out with focus then being on more specific sessions along lines many have suggested such as progressive, mp or hmp fast finishes etc.

I suspect I will try and do a 19-20 mile run (basicall y up to 2.5hrs) in the next week or so, as a max length run at my E or long run pace.
Aug 2016
7:53pm, 10 Aug 2016
4,059 posts
  •  
Huntsman
NN that's pretty standard isn't it having the biggest mileage week a few weeks out from the target race?
Aug 2016
10:26pm, 10 Aug 2016
2,369 posts
  •  
Ninky Nonk
Not really. Big miles in base phase. Then add intensity and drop miles.

Increasing mileage and increasing intensity together not great idea.

IF the plan is just increasing miles to 3wks out when do you do long duration race specific work?
Aug 2016
11:39pm, 10 Aug 2016
4,060 posts
  •  
Huntsman
In the P&L book the 81-100 miles per week 12 week schedule there are a couple of big mileage weeks and there is a speed session in the form of a LT or VO2 session in every week apart from race week.

The big mileage weeks are 3 and 6 weeks out in the 81 to 100 mile schedule.

I'm only quoting from a book so doesn't mean it will work for everyone. I'm roughly following the Half Marathon 46 to 63 mile schedule so I'll see if it helps me.

Any way it doesn't matter as you know what you're doing anyway and imo a 19 mile long run is correct for your level of running :-) Good luck.
Aug 2016
7:16am, 13 Aug 2016
2,373 posts
  •  
Ninky Nonk
Sorry probably came over a bit strong. I was typing in a hurry.

I'd have thought any schedule that has you running more miles than previously will be a good bet for a pb. Can't argue with weekly sessions either.

Trudged out 19 miles yesterday in 2.15. Will aim to get another 19 or 20 miles run in 2 weeks or so which will be about 6/7 weeks out. Focus after that is 13-14 miles runs with good sections at mp/hmp.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Ninky Nonk
How long should your longest run be for a half marathon?