How long does it take to recover from a marathon?

4 watchers
Apr 2013
8:16am, 17 Apr 2013
23,273 posts
  •  
Old Croc
Have been told no running for at least a week maybe two. Physically I agree - mentally I might struggle - the need for a run out is growing daily. I might go for a steady pootle on the bike later if the gales and sandstorms give up
Apr 2013
8:30am, 17 Apr 2013
15,740 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
3:50 at Bungay last Sunday, then 4.5 miles Monday, double session yesterday and 5 miles early doors today.

However after my first marathon I couldn't even walk for a day or so, and tried running the Thursday after and it was horrible :(
Apr 2013
8:47am, 17 Apr 2013
66 posts
  •  
Lesley C
I took a while to recover after loch ness last year, I had a knee injury too. I did move house two days after which helped loosen off my legs.

Good Luck!!
Apr 2013
9:20am, 17 Apr 2013
24,844 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
After my first marathon, I could barely move for several days and didn't start running again for two or three months, though I was carrying an injury, hadn't done the training because of it, and did everything wrong on the weekend of the race.

The second was loads better and a point came at which I could bat 'em out day after day without any difficulty.

It's been a long time since I ran anything close to marathon distance and I suspect that my next "first" marathon will come as a shock.
AB
Apr 2013
11:17am, 17 Apr 2013
90 posts
  •  
AB
I normally do a gentle 3 mile run the next day, then a slightly quicker 6/7 mile the next day, but I think listening to your body, how you feel, be honest with yourself. If you think you will enjoy a run go for it. It depends a lot on your history.
Apr 2013
12:35pm, 17 Apr 2013
15,746 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
To be honest, it the marathon was your 'A' race. Have a break from running.
Apr 2013
12:46pm, 17 Apr 2013
6,783 posts
  •  
SpicedApple
After my first marathon, I was barely able to move for a few days. Can't remember how long after I started running again, but it was a while. Did my slowest (and hardest) ever 5k about a month after that marathon, which showed me that it was still too soon to be racing.

I seem to be recovering better these days - was able to run and enjoy a hilly 17-mile race a week after my third marathon.

If I were you, I wouldn't enter any races prior to the marathon. See what you feel like afterwards - if you can run and want to do a race, then fine. However, if you're sore all over and can barely move, that's alright, too (and makes you bask in the achievement of your first marathon more ;-)).
Apr 2013
3:49pm, 17 Apr 2013
1,104 posts
  •  
Hackett
Looking to do a 4 mile run 2 Moro , just to get my legs going again. Then will look to tick over for 3 weeks but no intensity and a couple of gym sessions again a week.
Apr 2013
4:02pm, 17 Apr 2013
597 posts
  •  
Duffo
There is a rule of thumb that say's you should rest a day for very hour that you ran...
Apr 2013
5:25pm, 17 Apr 2013
3,358 posts
  •  
colettedeann
i feel great today - so think i will give tomorrow a gentle trot and see how i feel :)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Jo_London
I\'m running my first ever marathon in April [the VLM] and I was wondering how long I should allow...