How is your running surviving Covid chaos?

51 watchers
May 2020
3:36pm, 19 May 2020
2,311 posts
  •  
Canute
Now the regulations make it clear that we can leave home several times a day and if needs be, we can travel to take exercise, many of the uncertainties about what runners can do have be resolved. Even 'healthy' sun-bathing is acceptable. However, the discussion of the CV-19 family support thread and in Fetch blogs indicates that there is still some tension about the 2 m rule.

The regulations make it clear that we should maintain 2 m separation from people from households other than our own. On the other hand, the evidence for contract tracing suggests that the risk of infection from outdoor exposure less than 15 minutes is low.

However there is also evidence that forceful expiration (e.g. singing) results in substantial spraying of small droplets, and also evidence that the virus by carried in very small droplets can remain suspended in air for long periods.

My own view is that the risk of infection from a passing pre-symptomatic runner or cyclist is extremely small but not totally zero. Therefore for my own wellbeing and the well-being of others, I make all reasonable efforts to maintain the 2 m separation. If I was a cyclist I would avoid drafting.

I also recognise that many non-runners have understandable reasons for thinking that runners present a greater hazard than other pedestrians. Fortunately a cheerful smile or wave normally takes the tension out of encounters.

However, not everyone sees us as we see ourselves.
May 2020
3:38pm, 19 May 2020
69,651 posts
  •  
Gobi
So nothing has changed for me. I'm an adult and can make my own choices. As things stand I still run once a day outside.

I'm making a choice and it suits me.
May 2020
5:17pm, 19 May 2020
34,493 posts
  •  
DocM
as both a runner and a walker i notice a difference in how im treated depening on which im doing. I mainly avoid being around other people
May 2020
5:24pm, 19 May 2020
11,520 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
I still make a point of acknowledging people and smiling at them, and/or their dogs if they are dog walkers! It takes a lot of the sting out in advance.

I've seen many more people not do anything about spacing at all than I have seen them carrying out an exaggerated avoidance maneuver though, which suggests to me that more people don't seem to give a monkeys wotsits, rather than are panic struck or fearful. Although to some extent maybe its a self selecting (or enforced isolating) group who are not going out and trying to avoid others.
May 2020
2:47pm, 26 May 2020
2,331 posts
  •  
Canute
The DC cases illustrates very clearly the need for clear guidance about how Covid regulations are to be interpreted. It was noteworthy that early in April the National Police Chiefs Council (for England) issued very clear guidance regarding a reasonable excuse to leave the house. Unfortunately that clear guidance has been taken down and replaced by a complex set of documents that I find much less clear. college.police.uk
May 2020
2:57pm, 26 May 2020
68 posts
  •  
TheBeardRunner (aka Abul Choudhury
The vast majority of times I am out running it is always me that crosses the road. Irritates me slightly.
May 2020
3:11pm, 26 May 2020
2,332 posts
  •  
Canute
TBR
Fortunately the available evidence regarding risk of infection from brief encounters out-doors indicates that the risks are low, though the risk is not entirely negligible. Forceful exhalation does definitely release very large numbers of droplets of varying sizes, capable of carrying virus. In a well ventilated space, these get dispersed very rapidly so the risk of infection is low. Nonetheless what you do is sensible. Current regulation do still specify 2 m separation so you should at least take satisfaction from the fact that you are being responsible, even if others are taking a somewhat more casual approach.
May 2020
3:18pm, 26 May 2020
30,103 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
I prefer to be the one giving way, at least I am prepared and I know it is going to happen rather than having to make late adjustment to my running line.
May 2020
3:22pm, 26 May 2020
42,233 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
I’m with you Mrs J. Look after myself and keep out the way is my current modus operandi
May 2020
3:30pm, 26 May 2020
69,773 posts
  •  
Gobi
MrsJ - not only am I happy to move I am chatting and having banter.

Sadly as far as manners go

Runners and cyclists (mtb on canal) are among the worst mannered.

People who are just out walking are the most polite, followed by fishermen.

Dog walkers - interesting as they have produced the most fun and the closest to conflict I have come so a proper chalk and cheese bunch

About This Thread

Maintained by Canute
Covid-19 case numbers continue to rise exponentially in the UK.

It is even more crucial to do everything we can to slow the rate of onset of new cases. Nonetheless, exercise remains important for our health.

The relevant piece of the legislation in England is:

The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020

Restrictions on movement

6.—(1) During the emergency period, no person may leave the place where they are living without reasonable excuse.

(2) For the purposes of paragraph (1), a reasonable excuse includes the need—

(a) to obtain basic necessities, including food and medical supplies for those in the same household (including any pets or animals in the household) or for vulnerable persons and supplies for the essential upkeep, maintenance and functioning of the household, or the household of a vulnerable person, or to obtain money, including from any business listed in Part 3 of Schedule 2;

(b) to take exercise either alone or with other members of their household;

-----
That is an abbreviated version. Here is a link to a more comprehensive specification of section 6:
legislation.gov.uk

Similar regulations apply in Scotland, where section 8, (5) (b) states:
(b) to take exercise, either alone or with other members of their household.
In Northern Ireland, section 5 (2) (b) is the same:
(b) to take exercise either alone or with other members of their household;

In Wales, the regulations state that you can leave the house no more than once a day for exercise, The relevant section [section 8] states:

(b) to take exercise, no more than once a day, either alone or with other members of the household.

-----------

Here is a link to the guidance regarding a reasonable excuse to leave the house, issued by the National Police Chiefs Council (for England):
college.police.uk
Note added 26th May: unfortunately the clear guidelines issued in April have been taken down and replaced by a more complex collection of documents.
-------------

The fact that the government accepts the importance of exercise places a responsibility on us to exercise in a way that reduces our risk of becoming a clinical case rather than increasing our risk.

Here is a review of the factors that influence the relationship between exercise and function of the immune system
fetcheveryone.com/blog/13360/2020/3#blog403926